Down-shifting on overpasses

rcrose

We are new owners as of last weekend and so far, so good. I have noticed while on cruise control the transmission down-shifts on overpasses. It happens near the end of the grade and on top, it immediately shifts back. The cruise was set for 70 mph and when I disengaged cruise and held it at the same speed, the shifting didn't occur. I just wondered if anyone else is experiencing this and if it is normal? I don't really consider it a problem but it probably causes a little extra wear and tear and since the RPMs increase, a small loss in fuel economy. Any ideas?

:yup: ....Normal...Yep..I'd say so..it's "hunting"...not enough for 6th and too much for 5th...The rolling hills really will do it...Hope that helps with your question...About the car....Welcome to the group and I'm guessing you'll be liking that EDGE...I got mine February 07 and it is rolling right at 27K...I go pretty long and pretty far...mostly chasing my tail..... :doh: .........I use the cruise quite a bit cause I get a little foot heavy and I've found my edge has a "sweet spot" right at 82 mph...most the state troopers let "some sliding room"....but 82.. :redcard: .. don't get it.........Happy...... :shift: ........Sr...

I agree... as I posted on another section of the forum, we just got back from our first road trip with the Edge and found the same thing. It tended to kick down into 5th often and even with a slight incline in the road. A drawback of a 6 speed I guess...

The only difference to what you described is that I found the same thing whether on cruise or not. Not a huge deal really...

Enjoy your Edge!

:yup: ....Normal...Yep..I'd say so..it's "hunting"...not enough for 6th and too much for 5th...The rolling hills really will do it...Hope that helps with your question...About the car....Welcome to the group and I'm guessing you'll be liking that EDGE...I got mine February 07 and it is rolling right at 27K...I go pretty long and pretty far...mostly chasing my tail..... :doh: .........I use the cruise quite a bit cause I get a little foot heavy and I've found my edge has a "sweet spot" right at 82 mph...most the state troopers let "some sliding room"....but 82.. :redcard: .. don't get it.........Happy...... :shift: ........Sr...

Thanks for your responses. If both of you are experiencing the same thing, it must be the nature of the beast. I don't think I'll be trying your sweet spot as in Texas they can give you up to 10 mph but there are some zealots out there that will you stop you for 5. I generally run 75 on the Interstates because if you don't, everyone will be passing and you become a major inconvenience for everyone. We like the EDGE very much. Traded a Hemi Durango in on it and the ride is smoother, the rear seat leg room is much better, and with mixed town and highway running 21.4 mpg, the economy looks great already.