Valvoline Maxlife - Jiffy Lube

Sonia

Hi guys,

I'm a new owner of a 2008 Ford Edge with 180KM on it. I decided to get the fluids changes so I went to Jiffy Lube because I wouldn't have a time to drop car off at dealership for a another few weeks.

I got Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Oil and

a Drain/Fill of the tranny fluid (Did ot want to do a flush) So they ended up draining and adding about 5 litres of Valvoline Maxlife.

Now, I'm a little worried because my friend told me I should only be using ATF+4, will I be ok with the Valvoline or should I go to a dealer to have them replace it?

Thanks for your help!

Sonia

Sonia:

I use Mobil 1 exclusively, alternating every other change with the high mileage type that has an additive package that is helpful to the engine seals.

Your transmission needs MERCON V fluid or a fluid that meets this specification. Valvoline says that their Maxlife DEX/MERC product meets this specification. ATF+4 is a completely different specification and may not be compatible with your 6F50 transmission.

Valvoline Maxlife: http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/maxlife/automatic-transmission-fluid/37

Put your VIN number in the window on this website and it will tell you which [Ford] fluids your car needs. http://www.fordparts.com/default.aspx

Good Luck!

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

Sonia:

I'm sure Valvoline stands behind their product. In the middle of the document I've attached Valvoline spells it out. I would contact Valvoline and find out what their policy is on claims. It is not unusual that the Ford fluid is blended by Valvoline, or Castrol or Mobil, etc.

If your transmission fails, your cash flow may be an issue. You probably won't receive a settlement until the claim is sorted out, and you will be cash out of pocket to repair your car. Ford may ask if you used a different fluid. If you can prove that the Maxlife was installed [keep your receipt] and you get pushback from Ford, show them to the clause in the middle of the Valvioline literature attached. It still may be uphill battle.

Of course, Ford will ask the same questions even if you grenaded a transmission with their fluid in it.

Good luck

PS. There is a rumor that Ford has stopped making Motorcraft MERCON V and that OEM MERCON V from Valvoline, Castrol, etc. is all that is available. A call to the parts counter at the local stealer can confirm the rumor and support your decision about the MaxLife.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I'm a new owner of a 2008 Ford Edge with 180KM on it. I decided to get the fluids changes so I went to Jiffy Lube because I wouldn't have a time to drop car off at dealership for a another few weeks.

I got Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Oil and

a Drain/Fill of the tranny fluid (Did ot want to do a flush) So they ended up draining and adding about 5 litres of Valvoline Maxlife.

Now, I'm a little worried because my friend told me I should only be using ATF+4, will I be ok with the Valvoline or should I go to a dealer to have them replace it?

Thanks for your help!

Sonia

Its clear, you need an oil that meets the Mercon V spec and the Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic ATF and Valvoline Maxlife both say they do but I believe the Mobil 1 is closer to the full spec.

But you said that the did one drain and added about 5 litres, if this is the case you need to repeat the process 2 more times and the system hold about 10 litres. If you don't carry out a pump out and fill, you need to drain the 5 litres from the sump, refill and run for 3 minutes, then repeat twice more to ensure most of the old fluid is removed (this is the workshop manual procedure).

• Like 1

Its clear, you need an oil that meets the Mercon V spec and the Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic ATF and Valvoline Maxlife both say they do but I believe the Mobil 1 is closer to the full spec.

But you said that the did one drain and added about 5 litres, if this is the case you need to repeat the process 2 more times and the system hold about 10 litres. If you don't carry out a pump out and fill, you need to drain the 5 litres from the sump, refill and run for 3 minutes, then repeat twice more to ensure most of the old fluid is removed (this is the workshop manual procedure).

It's better to let the dealer use the machine to swap almost all the fluid using the cooler lines. That gets the torque converter too.

In case some of you are confused about calling ATF "oil" - most car fluids are really just a lightweight oil. ATF, brake fluid, power steering fluid, etc. So don't get hung up on fluid vs. oil - same thing.

• Like 1