Scorpion STR vs STR A

MickeyCondon

Hey guys,

I know that there is a majority of people that dislike (well, Dingo hates) the Pirellli Scorpions but I got a very good deal of $510 (discount tire direct, instant $50, then $70 gift card) for 4 of them and I took the chance. I got a used set of Limited rims and definitely needed 2 new times w/in 10K (would have approached $350/400 for just 2) but with the deal only for 4 only a lil more I pulled the trigger.

I noticed that I have the STRA's on my Edge but I ordered STR's. I noticed this on the Tirerack page:

The Scorpion STR A and Scorpion STR tires are Pirelli's premium Highway All-Season tires that were designed to deliver the Stability, Traction and Ratings (STR) appropriate for today's light trucks by adapting their performance to the needs of crossover vehicles, sport utility vehicles and light duty pickup trucks. The Scorpion STR tires are designed to combine a quiet and comfortable ride along with ease of handling and year-round traction, even in light snow.

The Scorpion STR's tread compound is molded into one of two similar, but slightly different symmetric tread designs. The tires featuring Pirelli's North American tread pattern are identified as Scorpion STR A tires, while those featuring their European tread pattern are simply identified as Scorpion STR tires.

The Scorpion STR A tire's North American tread pattern features continuous shoulder ribs and narrower groves between all of the independent tread blocks. This type of tread design would tend to result in a quieter, more even-wearing tire.

The Scorpion STR tire's European tread pattern features lateral grooves through the shoulder ribs and larger grooves between all of the independent tread blocks. This type of tread design would tend to result in a tire with better hydroplaning resistance and wet traction.

On the inside, both Scorpion STR tires feature twin, high- tensile steel belts reinforced with polyamide to provide strength and durability on top of a two-ply polyester cord body that helps cushion the ride.

I was just curious if people had noticed a significant difference between the 2?

Thanks.

Got 22,000 on my STR's and they look like another 12,000 to 15,000 to go. I have heard all the bad stuff about Pirelli's here and the F150 forum. I can't complain about these oem tires. No experience with the

STR A's

Edited by fledgex
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

i just boufght these recently. They were the STR, and I hate them. I've had them balanced at two different shops and they still vibrate above 60mph. The roadforce was at 26 lbs. Normal should be around 5 lbs with 28 being the max. Getting rid of them and going back to Yoko's. Guess you get what you pay for. They were cheap at the dealer, so I tried them.