Coolant/antifreeze change problems

jwh1

New member here and many thanks for all I've learned about my 07 Edge.

I'm having the same trouble with my Edge as I've had with other cars when it comes to changing the coolant. I drained the radiator and got around 5 qt out. This seems to be the capacity of the radiator, reservoir, and hoses. Total capacity for the cooling system is just short of 12 qts, so there are still 7 qts in the engine.

The common advice is to flush with a garden hose(or distilled water) and refill with coolant concentrate to 50%, meaning you add 6 qts of coolant concentrate to the flush water in a 12 qt system. If only 4-5 qts will drain, how do I add 6 qts of coolant to get the 50/50 mix??? Of course you could drain, fill with concentrate, run, drain and refill to slowly increase the % of coolant to 50/50, but surely a dealer or quickie lube doesn't do that.

Everyone says this is a simple job and it seems to be, but I'm missing something. How does a shop do it? I've read of running the engine to pump the rest out (seems like a bad idea), pulling the thermostat, etc....Any advice?

jwh:

and the Great Ford Engineers said:

"Inspect the coolant condition in the following sequence:
1. Inspect the coolant color.
If Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant has a clear or pale yellow color, this
indicates higher water content than required. Test the engine coolant freezing point
range with the Coolant/Battery Refractometer. The freezing point should be in the range
-45°C to -23°C (-50°F to -10°F). If the vehicle is driven in cold climates less than -36°C
(-34°F), it may be necessary to increase the coolant concentration to get adequate
freeze protection. Recommended coolant concentration is 50/50 ethylene glycol to
distilled water.
A pale green color indicates incorrect coolant (green in color) may have been added to
the system. Use of incorrect (green in color) coolant degrades the corrosion protection
of Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant. Flush the system and refill with the correct
mixture of distilled water and Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant.
NOTE: If Cooling System Stop Leak Pellets are used, darkening of the Motorcraft
Premium Gold Engine Coolant from yellow to golden tan will occur.
Dark brown could indicate a commercially available stop leak may have been used.
Flush the system and refill with the correct mixture of distilled water and Motorcraft
Premium Gold Engine Coolant.
A light or reddish brown color indicates that rust may be present in the cooling system.
Flush the system and refill with the correct mixture of distilled water and Motorcraft
Premium Gold Engine Coolant.
An iridescent sheen on top of the coolant could indicate a trace of oil is entering the
system. For information on engine diagnosis, refer to Section 303-00 .
A milky brown color may indicate that engine oil is entering the cooling system.
Pressure test the cooling system. Refer to component tests in this section. If engine oil
is suspected, the cause of the leak may be internal to the engine. Refer to Section 303-
00 .
2. If the engine coolant appearance is acceptable, test the engine coolant freezing point range
with the Coolant/Battery Refractometer. The freezing point should be in the range -45°C to -
23°C (-50°F to -10°F). If the vehicle is driven in cold climates less than -36°C (-34°F), it may be
necessary to increase the coolant concentration to get adequate freeze protection.
Recommended coolant concentration is 50/50 ethylene glycol to distilled water.
 Maximum coolant concentration is 60/40 for cold weather areas.
 Minimum coolant concentration is 40/60 for warm weather areas.
3. Adjust coolant range and level if necessary:
 If coolant is low, add specified coolant mixture only.
 If the engine coolant tests too weak, remove some of the engine coolant and add
undiluted engine coolant until the readings are within acceptable levels.
 If the engine coolant tests strong, remove some of the engine coolant and add distilled
water until the readings are within acceptable levels."
thus sayeth the Ford.
This is the path the coolant takes through your motor. There is also the heater core that has coolant in it.

Ford Edge Coolant Path

In the past, I've used a radiator pressure tester to force residual coolant out from the engine. Be careful that you don't over pressurize. The water pump is in an awful location. You don't want to blow that gasket!

Good Luck!

Ford Edge Coolant Flush.pdf

I've always installed one of the Prestone back flush kits on my previous cars which are around $5.00 or so. It is a plastic "T" which gets spliced into one of the heater hoses. Here's a link with directions on how to do it.

http://www.prestone.com/products/print/461?popup=1

I then add what ever amount of coolant to the system which would give a 50/50 mix, and add the water last. I haven't looked closely at the Edge yet to see where the "T" will go and hope they still have rubber hoses and not metal ones.

Thanks for the replies guys.

IS973800...the heater hoses are not terrifically accessible on the Edge, but could be done. I had a Prestone flush fitting on a previous car and was always concerned about an inexpensive $5 plastic fitting being the weak link in the system.

Autom8r...very helpful instructions right from the book. Hard to imagine that the only way to get a 50/50 mix is to drain some of the brand new coolant and refill with concentrate, but I guess that's what I'll do. Somehow, I wonder if that is what really happens at the quickie lube, or do they just refill the radiator and call it good enough! Good idea about applying air pressure to gently force out additional coolant from the engine.

Your Edge should be filled with 50/50 from the factory, so you would just add 50/50 to top it off. An antifreeze tester (refractomoter) is a $5 piece at Autozone if you want to test it. You could do 3-4 fill and drains with distiller water, or drain and fill with mixed coolant and do another in a couple weeks. I just did mine on my 2011 Sport and it was the same, only about 5 quarts came out. I filled it with mixed coolant and tested it with the tester and antifreeze strips which show contaminants and it was fine.

Unless you are always towing, drag racing or operating in extreme temperatures I wouldn't try to get TOO technical with it, you are liable to break more than you fix.

Hollywood,

I had to laugh about your comment..."you are liable to break more than you fix"...it's like you know me!! You are absolutely right.

I was intending this to be a routine fluid change as the car is now 6 years old and I thought the coolant should be changed by then. I have a tester...the type with a squeeze bulb and a floating pointer to indicate the freeze protection level, but i am not familiar with the test strips for contaminants. I know the coolant doesn't wear out but I've heard it gets acidic. I'll see if I can find some strips at the auto store.

You are also probably right about just changing the 5 qt from the radiator. That may be enough if done every several years.

IS973800...the heater hoses are not terrifically accessible on the Edge, but could be done. I had a Prestone flush fitting on a previous car and was always concerned about an inexpensive $5 plastic fitting being the weak link in the system.

I have had them in several cars and trucks, including one which I drove over 160000 miles and 10 years in all kinds of heat and cold. Never had any leak or break. I did have one cap leak one time, but that was because I failed to put it back on with the washer. Replaced the washer and no other problems.

I'll have to take a look under the hood and see how the Edge is set up. The "T" install is something I will do if there is room.

Edited by ls973800

Hacker,

That is a good reminder that during a flush, turn the heater on to flush out the heater core as well. I'm going to flush with water with the engine running and heater on, then drain radiator and fill with coolant concentrate and adjust from there.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I am living in UAE and I have ford edge SEL 2009.

Last week I had coolant change from a non-dealer. He lifted the car and flushed the coolant by opening one screw of the radiator. After all the coolant is drained he fixed the screw, unlifted the car and put concentrated coolant directly into the plastic tank next to wiper tank. After the entire gallon was emptied (3.78 litres), the plastic tank has stil some capacity left to be filled to the colder range and then he added water.

I noticed on the coolant gallon saying that it is concentrated and should be diluted 50/50 but in my case the same was not done.

Please advice remedy.

Thanks

Noman

nomanaaziz@hotmail.com

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

New member here and many thanks for all I've learned about my 07 Edge.

I'm having the same trouble with my Edge as I've had with other cars when it comes to changing the coolant. I drained the radiator and got around 5 qt out. This seems to be the capacity of the radiator, reservoir, and hoses. Total capacity for the cooling system is just short of 12 qts, so there are still 7 qts in the engine.

The common advice is to flush with a garden hose(or distilled water) and refill with coolant concentrate to 50%, meaning you add 6 qts of coolant concentrate to the flush water in a 12 qt system. If only 4-5 qts will drain, how do I add 6 qts of coolant to get the 50/50 mix??? Of course you could drain, fill with concentrate, run, drain and refill to slowly increase the % of coolant to 50/50, but surely a dealer or quickie lube doesn't do that.

Everyone says this is a simple job and it seems to be, but I'm missing something. How does a shop do it? I've read of running the engine to pump the rest out (seems like a bad idea), pulling the thermostat, etc....Any advice?

Ok I can help

Ideally everything has to mix and each time you take out you put the exact amount in of distilled water. assuming exactly 12 quarts of mixed antifreeze and water.

Having the exact amount of fluid coming out means a lot. There is a big difference between 4 and 5 quarts. I wish you could be more specific. for this post, I assume exactly 5 quarts come out and 5 quarts go in of distilled water. Put drain plug back in and run engine. then take out 5 more quarts of mixed antifreeze/water. put exactly 5 quarts of distilled water back in.

First time:

Ideal is .5 * 12= 6 quarts of pure antifreeze.

after drain and fill of distilled water: 7*.5=3.5 quarts pure antifreeze. or 29% mixture

Second time:

16.9 percent antifreeze/water mixture.

or 1.183 quarts of antifreeze.

We need 6 quarts of pure antifreeze.

6-1.183=4.81 quarts of pure antifreeze.

But we took out five quarts

so add .19 quarts of distilled water to make it an exact 50 percent concentration of antifreeze to distilled water concentration.

I hope this helps. again the numbers change based on how much exact comes out. IF you get that info, I can update the math.

Edited by gotbilly