Facts on production

rt2525

Sorry to all the Edge fans out there, but as a long time enployee of Ford(both Truck plant and Freestar) I can honestly say this has been the slowest launch by far of any Ford product. My question is,is there anybody out there with any concrete information as to the cause of these delays. We have heard of a nunber of different things from the BAMR roof leaks to fluid leaks and now bad wheel bearings. Trying to get asimple answer from either the union or management is harder than pulling out your own Eye teeth.Real info would be greatly appreciated-rumors though,well sorry but I think I've heard em all already. :rant:

Sorry to all the Edge fans out there, but as a long time enployee of Ford(both Truck plant and Freestar) I can honestly say this has been the slowest launch by far of any Ford product. My question is,is there anybody out there with any concrete information as to the cause of these delays. We have heard of a nunber of different things from the BAMR roof leaks to fluid leaks and now bad wheel bearings. Trying to get asimple answer from either the union or management is harder than pulling out your own Eye teeth.Real info would be greatly appreciated-rumors though,well sorry but I think I've heard em all already. :rant:

You will get answers to ALL of those questions...The new Plant Manager is having meetings with trim and chassis employees right now.

You will get answers to ALL of those questions...The new Plant Manager is having meetings with trim and chassis employees right now.

Sorry again,I should have put a question mark after the heading. I work in Body and my guess is,Charley, you are with management in some capacity.We missed Miniely's speech Friday but from what I've heard the gist of it was Ford is losing up to 10 mil per day because of these delays and we're in for at least one more.You can only tell people (employees and customers) to be patient for so long.Eventually you're going to lose your most valued customers.Those Die-hard Ford fans and the ones willing to buy pre-build on faith.I"ve heard over and over how they won't let the Edges go until they're perfect but Dec. or Jan. are not the months to get your pruduct out for the rest of the world to see.

Sorry again,I should have put a question mark after the heading. I work in Body and my guess is,Charley, you are with management in some capacity.We missed Miniely's speech Friday but from what I've heard the gist of it was Ford is losing up to 10 mil per day because of these delays and we're in for at least one more.You can only tell people (employees and customers) to be patient for so long.Eventually you're going to lose your most valued customers.Those Die-hard Ford fans and the ones willing to buy pre-build on faith.I"ve heard over and over how they won't let the Edges go until they're perfect but Dec. or Jan. are not the months to get your pruduct out for the rest of the world to see.

I'm not in management, I'm in the Trades.

The talk was a little more encompassing than the loss of 10 million per day when we don't build the required units. We need to get past these manufacturing glitches and get back on track. Hopefully the restructuring we have experienced will help us.

My first impression of Ken Minielly, he seems to be a "no bullshit" type of guy who is telling us that he is 180 degree opposite of F.G.

I can tell you that production has been shut down at least 3 times now due to a particular suspension component failing. Assembled vehicles have had to be disassembled due to this faulty component. The component has been redesigned in an attempt to remedy the issue and controls are in place to ensure faulty parts never make it to vehicles, however the failure is one that can come up at any given time, at any point through it's life cycle. Parts that have been known to be good have failed less than 24h later.

I can also tell you that another suspension/drivetrain component, which was within Ford's own spec, has also been found to be failing and is currently (as of December 7, 2006 - the day they supposedly started shipping to dealerships) being disassembled from vehicles to be reworked and reassembled. I am not clear on how the shipped vehicles will be handled, however I do not think any of them will leave a dealership until this part has been reworked.

Now, off I go to disappear and attempt to keep my identity to myself - Ford themselves don't neccesarily know the aforementioned part still has failures...and I dont think they want anyone to know about the new issue...Thankfully, I don't work for Ford ;-)

I can tell you that production has been shut down at least 3 times now due to a particular suspension component failing. Assembled vehicles have had to be disassembled due to this faulty component. The component has been redesigned in an attempt to remedy the issue and controls are in place to ensure faulty parts never make it to vehicles, however the failure is one that can come up at any given time, at any point through it's life cycle. Parts that have been known to be good have failed less than 24h later.

I can also tell you that another suspension/drivetrain component, which was within Ford's own spec, has also been found to be failing and is currently (as of December 7, 2006 - the day they supposedly started shipping to dealerships) being disassembled from vehicles to be reworked and reassembled. I am not clear on how the shipped vehicles will be handled, however I do not think any of them will leave a dealership until this part has been reworked.

Now, off I go to disappear and attempt to keep my identity to myself - Ford themselves don't neccesarily know the aforementioned part still has failures...and I dont think they want anyone to know about the new issue...Thankfully, I don't work for Ford ;-)

Ford knows about the concern..it is being corrected as you read this post.

Ford knows about the concern..it is being corrected as you read this post.

Right you are Charly. Sounds like invisible must be one of our suppliers. OAC is in the process of setting up a repair line in Body2 that will be refitting 10,000 plus Edges -24/7 til they're done.

Some interesting comments....

I have decided not to try and buy a EDGE this year. With all of the delays and the fact that it is a new model, new engine, new trans, I have a really bad feeling that this new model is likely to be full of bugs and I don't want a recall queen to deal with right now....

I think I'll give it a year to see how it holds up and see if there are any recalls... Lets face it, a little time is the best insurance right now...

I am also hoping that Ford decides to build an Escape/Mariner with the new 3.5L V6 and new 6 speed trans. I think that this combo would be a lot more fun and have much higher performance. The Edge looks good and has some nice features, but so far, it seems way to heavy and very well may have some significant braking issues....

However, I am looking forward to hearing how you guys/gals like your new toy.... Good Luck....

Some interesting comments....

I have decided not to try and buy a EDGE this year. With all of the delays and the fact that it is a new model, new engine, new trans, I have a really bad feeling that this new model is likely to be full of bugs and I don't want a recall queen to deal with right now....

I think I'll give it a year to see how it holds up and see if there are any recalls... Lets face it, a little time is the best insurance right now...

I am also hoping that Ford decides to build an Escape/Mariner with the new 3.5L V6 and new 6 speed trans. I think that this combo would be a lot more fun and have much higher performance. The Edge looks good and has some nice features, but so far, it seems way to heavy and very well may have some significant braking issues....

However, I am looking forward to hearing how you guys/gals like your new toy.... Good Luck....

Will the Escape /Mariner not have the same engine/tranny your concerned about?

I believe this is probably the BEST time to buy an Edge/MKX they are hand built. (sorta) ;-)

Thanks for the good wishes

Right you are Charly. Sounds like invisible must be one of our suppliers. OAC is in the process of setting up a repair line in Body2 that will be refitting 10,000 plus Edges -24/7 til they're done.

Well there's at least one supplier I would not want to be.

Will the Escape /Mariner not have the same engine/tranny your concerned about?

Yep, but it will have a year ( probably two or three) of real world testing by the time top brass at Ford gets a clue and builds this combo. As usual, they will be about 2-3 years behind Toyota ( i.e. 265hp V6 Rav4 ). I test drove one of the Rav4's and it is fun to drive....

I took a chance on the new 2005 Mustang and have not be dissapointed. I think Ford is doing a great job in making their cars more reliable ( especially the new Fusion ) , but somthing does not seem right with this one for some reason.... Hopfully it is just my parinoia kicking in....

I'm not a supplier.

I know the issue you are speaking of, the one that had to be removed from all the vehicles, parts were then sent off to be reworked and recertified before reassembling them. The people they have reworking the parts aren't very good, either. The resulting parts (from one of the two rework suppliers) come out like absolute ass.

The other issue, one that originated months ago, is supposed to be fixed by now. The supplier of that part is trying their hardest to hide any further fallout. I'm unsure of how much Ford knows about the truth of further fallout and the overall poor construction of the part (see: quick failure on vehicle due to some cost-cutting profit-increasing measures taken)

The other issue, one that originated months ago, is supposed to be fixed by now. The supplier of that part is trying their hardest to hide any further fallout. I'm unsure of how much Ford knows about the truth of further fallout and the overall poor construction of the part (see: quick failure on vehicle due to some cost-cutting profit-increasing measures taken)

What other issue?

the first (major) issue that i was aware of on the ford edge had to do with the front suspension. this issue has shut ford's lines down, though i am unaware as to whether or not they've had to pull vehicles due to it. they probably have.

the second (even more major) issue that i was aware of was a part of the rear suspension. this one i know for sure they have had to pull already built vehicle's for.

i am aware that there are things in the works for both. the second issue is all but remedied; the second issue has a resolution. the first does, however it's not been taken, and despite all measures put in place the part is still shit and whether ford is aware of it or not there are still bad parts and there still will be bad parts on vehicles.

the first (major) issue that i was aware of on the ford edge had to do with the front suspension. this issue has shut ford's lines down, though i am unaware as to whether or not they've had to pull vehicles due to it. they probably have.

the second (even more major) issue that i was aware of was a part of the rear suspension. this one i know for sure they have had to pull already built vehicle's for.

i am aware that there are things in the works for both. the second issue is all but remedied; the second issue has a resolution. the first does, however it's not been taken, and despite all measures put in place the part is still shit and whether ford is aware of it or not there are still bad parts and there still will be bad parts on vehicles.

And you know this how? The rear suspnsion concern is being corrected and NO vehicles will be sent out faulty.

All I want to know "is the front suspension problem fixed?" and "is the rear suspension fixed". I realize it's a brand new vehicle but I wouldn't want this kind of problem at 70 MPH on the freeway. These seem like major problems but most likely this was the cause of the delay?

ALL issues are resolved..