Plasti Dip questions

rsto

So I just bought my first can of plasti dip to black out the edge emblem on the back and also some other things. What i'm trying to figure out is if I can use it in place of a rear bumper protector? I've looked on here quite a bit and found out people were using the one for the scion and theres also the actual edge badged one from ford, Im finding these for around $50. Im just wondering if anyone has tried to do this and if so, was it worth it? Im thinking it could be used instead and it may look better and sleeker but have never done anything with plasti dip so not too sure. Any advice?

I'm sure it will provide some protection. I don't know how long it will last. If you want any kind of protection like an actual bumper protector, it will probably take a lot of coats. Because PD is so cheap, it is worth a try. Try applying 10 coats or so, that should only be about 1 bottle for how large the area is you want to apply it to. If it doesn't work out, you are only out ~$6 and you can turn around and buy the actual protector. The nice thing about PD is that it peels right off, if you do it right.

Good luck. If you actually do this, post some pics so we can see how it turned out.

Im not wanting something too thick, just to protect from minor scratches, since I play softball and golf, Im thinking to spray some down so if I do happen to hit it than I dont scratch paint, Im pretty good about lifting up and than out since I used to have a truck and had to lift over the tailgate. Im definitely getting the edge badging blacked out thursday and if i decide to do the bumper ill post pics. I was kinda thinking the same thing you said cellbine, since its only $6 it cant hurt to try.

The only issue with PD is in light coats, you can rub a hole in it with enough pressure, which is why Cellbine recommended so many coats. It will definitely protect against chips, but you'd probably have to remove and reapply it every so often if you're rubbing softball bags and dinging it with your golf bag constantly.

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case anyone was wondering, I tried to coat the back lip on the bumper in pd in hopes it would come out ok, and with no luck it didnt. I peeled back the tape after spraying 7 coats on and it looked bad, and in a few spots the line didnt come out good at all, tape didnt peel off cleanly at all, so I tore it all off and its back to silver. I taped off just at the break when the bumper starts to drop off and follow that line across the whole back, all the way up to the tail lights on the side. it just looked bad in my opinion. Just thought i'd update this in case anyone was interested.