TPMS Question

hooterz

Can I do this procedure with out the scan tool ?

The reason I ask I have a tire pressure sensor warning light on, checked the tire pressure and set to spec when tires are cold, I also just recently just put in a new battery in the car and it started shortly after that.

TPMS RELEARN PROCEDURE

2006-2011 (2005 Escape, Edge and Mariner)

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position. Then, press and release the brake pedal.

2. Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position.

3. Press and release the brake pedal.

4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

5. Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position.

The horn will sound once and the indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display “TRAIN LF TIRE.”

6. It may take up to six seconds to activate a tire pressure sensor.

Press and release the test button on the TPMS tool. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the vehicle.

7. Within two minutes of the horn sounding, place the TPMS tool on the correct position for the sensor and release the test button to train the right front tire pressure sensor.

8. Do not wait more than two minutes between training each sensor or the Smart Junction Box (SJB) will time out and the entire procedure must be repeated. Repeat Step 7 for the right rear and then left rear.

The procedure is completed after the last tire has been trained. When the training procedure is complete, the message center (if equipped) will display “TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE.”

For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure will be verified by turning the ignition switch to the OFF position without the horn sounding. If the horn sounds twice when the switch is turned to the OFF position, the training procedure was not successful.

I'm wondering, if I have winter tires installed on rims with TPMS sensors, will I have to take the car to a car/tire dealer every spring and fall to have the system reprogrammed? Will hooterz procedure suffice if I change the rims/tires out myself or is a special tool required?

I'm wondering, if I have winter tires installed on rims with TPMS sensors, will I have to take the car to a car/tire dealer every spring and fall to have the system reprogrammed? Will hooterz procedure suffice if I change the rims/tires out myself or is a special tool required?

I installed the factory sensors from my 2013 into some different wheels. When I put those onto the Edge, I drove about 8 miles and the TPMS light remained on. However, once I got onto a freeway and hit over 60 MPH, the light went off. I have since rotated the tires several times and the light has never come back on.

If your stored tires have had the sensors set to the vehicle once, I think they will automatically be recognized after some driving, especially if you have a 2011 or newer model. I am not sure about the older style sensors used in the 2010 and older models.