Dealer says bi-directional remote start unreliable, points me to long range plug and play

I'm looking to get a remote starter installed in my 2013 Edge Limted. Key start, no power lift. I understand that i cannot use the series 200. Dealer is pushing me to the long range plug and play because he says the bi-directional are unreliable. Can anyone give me your personal experience ? Right now I am very confused, and I would just as well save the $100 bucks if bi-directional doesnt work well.

Thanks,

Ken

• 2 months later...

Dealers usually recommend whatever they can get done inexpensively and charge you full price for.

In this case, the "Ford" stuff is made by Code Alarm. They're okay, but not great.

DEI makes most of the options (named after snakes, birds, insects, etc), and they're better than Code Alarm, but still not absolutely stellar.

Compustar makes the best for our applications. The whole thing also hooks up through canbus for reliability and integration.

Thanks for the reply Dingo. Will the Compustar still give me the option of turning on the heated seats during remote start? The Wife said she wants that option no matter what.

My dealer has been having trouble finding the bi-directional for me, said their vendor can't get them anymore because they've been discontinued.

I have not had not had any problems installing any of the bi-directional units.If you do not need bi-directional I would recommendthe series 100 where you get 2 new keys with the 4th button for remote star. you get all the features you are looking for.automatic heated seats,front and rear defrosters and settings in the cluster you can set the way you like. Or you can get the remote acsess unit which can start your car with your smart phone from around the world with confirmation.

• 4 weeks later...

Ended up going with the bi-directional with a spare remote. Looking through the manual, I'm not seeing anything about a heated seat option. All the other options (run-time, temp etc) I found and set via the MFT, have it set to memory for the temp, but still cant get the heated seats to engage.

Am I missing something? Accessories guy at the dealer said several times that this option WOULD work, but I cant seem to figure it out. Thought I'd check here first before calling the dealer.

Auto setting will set the temp to 72℉ in cold or hot weather.

There should be a setting for Heated seats in the left screen , if it's set to auto , it will heat the seats in cold weather only. There is no mention in the owners manual at what ambient temperature it will turn on.

Auto setting will set the temp to 72℉ in cold or hot weather.
There should be a setting for Heated seats in the left screen , "

if it's set to auto , it will heat the seats in cold weather only. There is no mention in the owners manual at what ambient temperature it will turn on."

My car has this option, It has worked one time since I set it, in 2011. 3 APIM later, the dealer with the aid of a Ford Hotline assistance could not get to engage when set to auto heated seats.

Best Wishes.