2008 Edge Window Sticker

jamers1

The guys over in this forum are kind enough to lookup your build info if you provide your VIN http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?showforum=80

I even got my window sticker. http://mysite.verizon.net/res1ac97/2008_Edge.pdf

16 City / 24 Highway, Sport Suspension with 20" wheels confirmed

My guess is that all of the Limited's will come with the 20" wheels/sports suspension. I think most people will want them on the Limited's anyway and as a package they will not be able to be swapped out. Easy to change wheels, but not so for the suspension. This way it is an option that all the Limited's get, making it "Standard", but still gets listed as an option and something you have to pay for.

Clever idea if you ask me.

Clayton

My guess is that all of the Limited's will come with the 20" wheels/sports suspension. I think most people will want them on the Limited's anyway and as a package they will not be able to be swapped out. Easy to change wheels, but not so for the suspension. This way it is an option that all the Limited's get, making it "Standard", but still gets listed as an option and something you have to pay for.

Clever idea if you ask me.

Clayton

Does anyone know if the 20-inch wheels are actually chrome-plated wheels, or are they just chromed plastic wheel covers like the 18-inch chrome wheels are? I'm just curious because the price of the plastic wheel covers on the 18s is $750 and the price of the 20s is $895. Therefore, given that the pricing is similar (a little more for 20s compared to 18s), I'm guessing that the 20s might just be hub caps too!

Oh, and I don't know that it's true that most Limiteds will get the 20s. My local dealer just got their first 08 and it has the 18s on it.

Edited by cobra7

Does anyone know if the 20-inch wheels are actually chrome-plated wheels, or are they just chromed plastic wheel covers like the 18-inch chrome wheels are? I'm just curious because the price of the plastic wheel covers on the 18s is $750 and the price of the 20s is $895. Therefore, given that the pricing is similar (a little more for 20s compared to 18s), I'm guessing that the 20s might just be hub caps too!

Oh, and I don't know that it's true that most Limiteds will get the 20s. My local dealer just got their first 08 and it has the 18s on it.

They got an 08, but was it a Limited or an SE or SEL?

They don't use hub caps on any Edge's. I think you are confusing hub caps with chrome coating. I think all the Edge's use aluminum wheels that have been chrome coated. The coating is applied to the aluminum wheels. This keeps the weight and price of the wheels down.

Clayton

Remember the Limited comes standard with the 18" chrome clad wheel. The 2007 model charged you $750 for the 18" chrome clad wheels but not so on the 2008. I'm sure it's factored into the base price.

As for the chrome part, we know Ford has been using chrome cladding. Some may liken this to a hub cap because it is simply an artificial chrome appearance. However it is much appealing than a hub cap. For one thing, you need not worry about it flying off on a hard turn. Plus the chrome cladding is more durable (i.e. won't fade from the sun). For all practical purposed it's the same a chromed aluminum rim. Most people will never tell the difference unless the lean down and tap the chrome with their finger. The shallow hollow sound gives it away. I haven't confirmed but it most likely covering an aluminum rim. The added weight dynamics of a 20" steel wheel would be too detrimental to acceleration and braking.

They got an 08, but was it a Limited or an SE or SEL?

They don't use hub caps on any Edge's. I think you are confusing hub caps with chrome coating. I think all the Edge's use aluminum wheels that have been chrome coated. The coating is applied to the aluminum wheels. This keeps the weight and price of the wheels down.

Clayton

It was an 08 Limited. Sorry, I should have specified that. It was a black 08 Limited with black leather, Audiophile sound, Sync, and 18" chrome wheels.

And the chrome on the 18s is not a chrome coating on the wheels. It is a chromed plastic wheel cover that is attached to an aluminum wheel. I'll be ordering mine with the standard wheels and then promptly selling those on eBay and buying a set of real aftermarket chrome-plated aluminum wheels. From what I've seen, I can get a set of chrome wheels from tirerack.com that are much better looking then the OEM wheels for around $1200. I should be able to get a few hundred out of the OEM wheels as most OEM wheels are $300-$400 each through the dealer. If I can get just half that I'll be happy. So for about the same price or maybe a little less than what Ford would charge for their chrome wheel cover option, I can get a set of nicer chrome wheels.

Does anybody know if the 08 Limited can be ordered with any wheel styles other than the 18" chrome-clad and the 20" chrome-clad? What about the 18" painted aluminum wheels? Can a Limited be had with those on it? Just curious as I'd like to avoid these OEM chrome-clad wheels altogether if possible.

Edited by cobra7