Leaking fuel tank

Beans

I have a 2007 edge. The fuel tank has rot holes on the top of the tank. Has anyone experienced this.

MY DAUGHTER HAS A FORD EDGE 2007 SEL AWD HER GAS TANK HAS CORRODED I TOLD THE DEALER TO KEEP THE TANK I WANT TO TAKE PICTURES OF IT CANT BELIEVE THE CAR IS ONLY 6 YEARS OLD THERE ARE MILLIONS OF CARS OUT THERE NOT HAVING THIS ISSUE IN SUCH A SHORT TIME I AM TALKING WITH THE CORP OFFICE TOMORROW THE MAIN MANAGER TELL HIM I HAVE PICS OF THE FUEL TANK THE GUY AT THE FORD SERVICE TOLD ME THEY STOPPED USING PLASTIC TANKS AND STARTED USING METAL IN 2007 GO FIGURE PLEASE KEEP IN TOUCH WITH ME OK THIS IS A SERIOUS SITUATION MY DAUGHTER STARTED SMELLING THE GAS AFTER WE HAD IT INSPECTED ONLY A MONTH LATER WE STARTED TO SMELL THE FUEL VERY STRONG ODER IF SOMEONE WOULD HAVE THROWN A CIG OUT IT COULD HAVE LANDED UNDER THE CAR AND ONLY GOD KNOWS WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED THEN

FOR THOSE OUT THERE WHO HAVE HAS ISSUES WITH THE FUEL TANKS LEAKING FOR WHAT EVER REASON PLEASE KEEP ME POSTED WE NEED TO WORK SOMETHING OUT FORD SHOULD BE REPLACING THESE AT NO COST TO THE OWNER IT IS A DEFECT IN THE PRODUCT SO LETS KEEP IN TOUCH OK IM SURE THERE ARE ALOT MORE OUT THERE WITH THIS ISSUE THE GUY AT THE SERVICE STATION FROM FORD SAID I WAS THE FIRST ONE TO HAVE THIS PROBLEM REALLY MAYBE THE ONLY ONE TO COMPLAIN OR JUST NOT BEING STRAIGHT WITH ME EITHER WAY THIS IS A SITUATION THAT NEEDS ADDRESSED BEFORE SOMEONE LOSES THEIR LIFE BECAUSE IT EXPLODED FROM A CIG BUT FLYING UNDER THE CAR AND IGNITING THE FUMES

• 6 months later...

I have a 2007 Ford Edge Se/Sel AWD. I am experiencing the same problem with the gas tank, it is leaking at the top end and can only put 25.00 worth of gas in it at a time. Looked into getting it fixed and had a big surprise. Over 5000.00 for a brand new tank and 1500.00 for a refurbished tank plus cost of installing the tank, which is a big job, since the tank is underneath everything else...

Ā 

I contacted Ford customer service. I was told that if this had happened in Dec. of 2013 it would of been replaced at no cost. But apparantly I missed the deadline. Why would be there be a deadline if Ford agreed to fix the problem free of charge last year, what is the diffence between then and May 2014. If it is a problem with these gas tanks rusting out, we live in Canada where you deal with snow and salt most of the year, then why would there be a deadline on when you can get it replaced.

Ā 

I am a disabled, divorced mom with teenaged children who need to be driven everywhere, I cannot afford to replace a tank that will cost me over 2000.00, as I would have to go the refurbished route. So now I am stuck with a car that I cannot fill up and am constantly worried that the tank will either catch fire and I am sure after one more of our lovely winters the rest of the tank will just rust out too!

Ā 

Also I did take it to the garage to get this assessed and the owner had compassion and did not charge me and did advise me to contact Ford thinking they would be helpful. After contacting Ford I was also told that I have to now take it to my closest "Ford" dealership to have the same problem reassessed, at a cost of over 80.00, so the dealership can tell me the same thing I already know. Ford said "if they recall the tank" I would not be eligible for a rebate of the money I spent on another tank if I don 't use a Ford Dealership, which is going to cost more.

Ā 

It is sad. This is the best car I have driven, it is very comfortable and had good gas mileage, before the leak, I did tell my friends how much I loved this vehicle....

Ā 

I just hope customers keep complaining if they have this problem and post it everywhere they can and may be Ford will be a "good" company and do something about it.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter-in-law bought a 2007 SEL, after I recommended her to my Dealer, and just found out that the top of her tank is rotted out. Can't fill the tank or it leaks out. Ford really needs to deal with this issue, can't believe a fuel tank would rot out after less then 7 years. Talking around $2500.00 + to have tank replaced.

Ā 

I just sent out an eMail last week to Ford Corporate Customer Service and have not heard anything back as of today 06/23/2014.

Ā 

I also have a 2008 AWD Limited and started seeing the same issue starting to pop up on the 2008's.

This may very well push me away from Ford after 20 years depending on how they handle it.

Ā 

If I don't receive a response by the end of the week I am going to be filing a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) http://www.nhtsa.gov

The more people with this issue that file a complaint the more pressure on Ford to correct this problem.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an 2007 Lincoln MKX 80k miles with the identical problem with the fuel tank leaking in the same manner. Has anyone had any luck with Lincoln or Ford regarding compensation? It's never been in an accident or hit anything, seems like a lot of people are having the same issue. I've had many Fords over the years some with 200k miles never had a gas tank corrode out like this. Ford quoted me $2,500 for the work. Something needs to be done its clearly a defect .