2011 Ford Edge Limited with Intelligent Key starts without key

I just bought a slightly used Edge Limited with IA fob. Went to the store this morning and did not realize until I left the car that I forgot my key fob at the house. The vehicle only came with 1 key fob. Everything worked still and the vehicle started no issues. Do you think the previous owner hide the other fob somewhere in the vehicle???? I did notice that the sensors on the door for entering and locking the doors don't work, but unlocking vehicle with keypad, then it starts right up. I have looked in all the common places including the slot in the center console but no key fob. I don't like this happening. I suppose if I can't get that key fob found, assuming that is what is going on, I will need to reprogram fob.

Any ideas?

I have my second IA Fob hidden in the Edge under the tray in the center console. I have it at the very bottom and towards the front of the console. I can only unlock the vehicle using the keypad. It is a designed feature that the door sensors will not work if the IA Fob is inside the vehicle, only the keypad.

Another feature supposedly is that if you were to lock the car and had the window open, you could reach in and unlock without using the keypad. If you did that, the car would not start from what I have read. I have not tried it, but it is supposed to be a theft deterrent when you keep the Fob in the car. Only using the keypad will allow it to start when the Fob is inside a locked car. This way if anyone breaks in the car will not start unless they enter the code into the keypad.

Continue searching for the missing FOB inside the car, I think it is hidden in there because of the only way your car will start using the keypad for entry. Any way to contact the previous owner?

Edited by ls973800
  • Like 1