About to install HIDS into my girlfriends 2007 MKX - DIY?

Andrew Abalos

Before I tackle this project I was wondering how simple the job really is? Ive installed tons of HID kits and Im also very mechanically inclined. Any tips or DIY guides for the MKX? All Ive been able to find are Ford Edge tutorials and this link off of Lincolns Website - http://www.linhelps.com/content-673.html - Im pretty sure its easy enough, but its always nice to have chatted with people who have done it before for any tips or short cuts. Ive never even looked under the hood of her car LOL.

Im going to be installing a 55w 5000k HID kit with a relay harness into her 2007 MKX

I appreciate any help you guys can offer up for me.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Did you try the project? It looks quite difficult, if you ask me. It seems as if one wiring harness goes into the headlight housing, and from that harness the turn signals, low/high beams, and motors for the headlights are controlled/powered. You definately have to remove the headlights to get in there to figure out how to wire them. In order to do that the whole front bumper cover and grille have to come off. I have a set of HID's and I will be attempting to install them this weekend coming up. I was actually looking for some pointers from those who have done it. I've installed several sets of aftermarket HID kits and this looks to be the most complicated...they are usually pretty easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... so here goes my experience!

Step 1 - pop the hood

Step 2 - mount harness

Step 3 - take off bulb covers

Step 4 - install bulbs

Step 5 - plug harness to ballasts and bulbs

Step 6 - done

Took me all of 30 minutes in total. Either my harness or 55w ballasts were bad. I swapped over to some 35w ballasts that I had an bam... worked like a charm. But for some reason the relay was clicking on my harness causing a lack of power to my 55w ballasts... then lights turned off or flickered real badly. Took the harness and 55w ballasts out and just installed basic 35w ballasts direct to the oem lighting sockets. Worked out perfectly for 2 weeks now. My girlfriend finally has decent lights compared to my OEM Lexus headlights. She cannot believe how bad they were before. No glare or adjusting of the projectors needed either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...