SYNC phone calls

For those of you that have placed several phone calls via SYNC, what do you think about it?

Do you feel like you have to yell for the other person to hear you?

Do they seem to think you come in loud and clear?

Do you feel like you have to yell for giving any command for that matter?

and do you feel you have to talk slow for SYNC to catch the correct word you use?

I'd love to hear about it...

:)

Edited by npggirl

I tested out Sync in an 08 Edge Limited at my local dealer a week ago. I found the system pretty nice. I called my wife from the Edge and she said that I sounded a little hollow, but perfectly clear and understandable. This was with the vehicle sitting still in the parking lot. I don't know how it would be with the vehicle in motion, but the Edge is pretty quiet, so I don't think it would be a problem.

So far as the voice commands, I did find that you need to speak loudly and clearly in order for Sync to respond. I also find that using voice commands can be abit frustrating in that the system is a little slow to respond. The Sync system also speaks back to you slowly, which can be frustrating as well. Overall, I liked the system, but it would be even better if it was a little faster to respond. One thing I forgot to check is if, once you learn Sync's responses, if you can interrupt the Sync voice with your next command. In other words, can you talk over Sync to speed the process along?

I'll have to test that out when I go to order my 08 Edge in a couple of weeks.

Edited by cobra7

I tested out Sync in an 08 Edge Limited at my local dealer a week ago. I found the system pretty nice. I called my wife from the Edge and she said that I sounded a little hollow, but perfectly clear and understandable. This was with the vehicle sitting still in the parking lot. I don't know how it would be with the vehicle in motion, but the Edge is pretty quiet, so I don't think it would be a problem.

So far as the voice commands, I did find that you need to speak loudly and clearly in order for Sync to respond. I also find that using voice commands can be abit frustrating in that the system is a little slow to respond. The Sync system also speaks back to you slowly, which can be frustrating as well. Overall, I liked the system, but it would be even better if it was a little faster to respond. One thing I forgot to check is if, once you learn Sync's responses, if you can interrupt the Sync voice with your next command. In other words, can you talk over Sync to speed the process along?

I'll have to test that out when I go to order my 08 Edge in a couple of weeks.

Hey, thanks cobra. I was wondering. I do not want to feel like I am yelling, but talking loud and clear should not be an issue.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hey, thanks cobra. I was wondering. I do not want to feel like I am yelling, but talking loud and clear should not be an issue.

Thanks for the feedback!

I have been using my Sync daily for almost 3 weeks now. I do NOT feel like I have to speak loudly or yell. People I have asked about how I sound comment that they can barely tell I am handsfree. The callers always sound fine to me. Nothing notable to complain about.

Rayo

ps. I had a post about a week back where I spoke quite a bit about the Sync.

I have been using my Sync daily for almost 3 weeks now. I do NOT feel like I have to speak loudly or yell. People I have asked about how I sound comment that they can barely tell I am handsfree. The callers always sound fine to me. Nothing notable to complain about.

Rayo

ps. I had a post about a week back where I spoke quite a bit about the Sync.

Hi there Rayo....

I might have seen that post...I will have to go Re-Check.

Thanks for the feedback!! Glad you are enjoying it...I am sure I will also when mine comes in...

:reading:

• 3 months later...

Hey npgirl,

I've had my new Edge about 3 weeks...had no problems pairing the Razr phone, an older model. When I first started using the hands free, folks said it sounded fine, not much noise.

In the last week or so I've had folks comment on how bad the sound is when using hands free. Anyone else having the problem of the phone sound quality DETERIORATING???

Curiously,

Eleanor

For those of you that have placed several phone calls via SYNC, what do you think about it?

Do you feel like you have to yell for the other person to hear you?

Do they seem to think you come in loud and clear?

Do you feel like you have to yell for giving any command for that matter?

and do you feel you have to talk slow for SYNC to catch the correct word you use?

I'd love to hear about it...

:)

I have been using Sync almost everyday since purchasing my new 2008 edge on 12/31/07. Everyone that I have talked to through Synce have said that everything sounds good with no problems. I tended to talk louder when using Synce at first. The wife had to remind me to talk softer. she says that she can even hear me when I am whispering. So far, I have been very happy with Sync. I am using the new Chocolate from Verizon. Sync even worked with my old Samsung A-950. It was bluetooth, but Sync would not download my contact list. It was no fun to have to remember all the phone numbers to tell Sync with number to dial.

Verizon LG 8600 (like a flip chocolate).

Both wife and I have same phone. Pairs easily (both phones named differently). Access all well.

I can tell when ANYONE is on handsfree. So...we have been testing it. CELL-->Land Line: Deterioration is noticed easily for me. Less so for my wife. Even my "semi-deaf" father can tell a difference. CELL-->CELL is more difficult to tell it is handsfree - but I can still tell. Wife didnt know and father did not either.

We tried stopped, windows up, windows down, driving, rain, good weather etc. You can "barely" tell there is weather going on (I have really good hearing though so take that into account). If the HVAC fan is blowing you can hear it too - defrost is the worst. WIndows down really doesnt cut it either.

Summary - very good solution. Worst deterioration is tinny voices of the caller.

I DO like the fact that the call comes out of BOTH front speakers (dont know about rear - not sat there). Some cars it comes out only one.

I would not be worried about what others think. Plus remember, bluetooth is TWO ways. If you have a stinky BT phone, it will sound stinky.

Solas

• 3 weeks later...

I figured I'd add to this thread since I'm a newbie and don't want to get yelled at....

I'm a sound engineer and feel that the noise gate on the mic for the phone in the mirror is not properly set. When someone is talking to me from the Edge (I'm the other caller), I hear a low tone (disturbing) intermittent in the background. This is in addition to the shhhhhh of the road noise of the freeways. It doesn't matter if it's asphalt or cement, it still sounds the same.

The mic in the mirror is probably a hypercardiod to eliminate the noise from the mirror, but a passenger needs to speak up to be heard since the mirror faces the driver.

Does anyone know if there is a way to set the sensitivity of the noise gate to eliminate this tonal noise?

Are there modifications available through the factory or a phone number I can call to Ford for this problem?

Thanks

Rusty

Interesting Rusty: the passengers in the back seat speak while I am driving and the person on the other end hears them fine. It definately is not the best quality, but is quite acceptable. When I am in the front passenger seat, the other people have no problem hearing me either.

A good guess is it also has to do with the quality of the cell phone and bluetooth connection. Just a thought and I have zero proof to back that up.

Solas