PTU leak

Joey183

So I know this is is a fairly well covered topic since it was such a big design flaw on the edges. My 07 AWD edge has the dreaded PTU leak, it was confirmed at the dealer when I got some maintenance done a while ago. In the summer it can sit in my driveway and not drip at all, and as soon as it gets cold it starts to drip, very very little though. My question is, is it okay to drive it while it leaks like that? I don't really want to pay 1600 bucks to get the seal fixed, and that may not even fix the problem permanently. Just turned over 100 000 km today, and it's never been replaced. Or can it cause more damage over time?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For $1600 they should replace the whole PTU......my local Ford dealer quoted $1300.00 parts and labor to replace the PTU. If it's leaking from the seal it's better than the Vent leak because you can add fluid to your unit but if the vent is puking fluid you are screwed. The only damage I can see it doing is making the underside of your vehicle messy

• 2 months later...

read the review from Natrix about PTU leaks. awesome detailed service explanation. I had done these drain mods on my 08 Taurus x before reading here and it now has 220 000 kms on the original ptu. the drain can be installed while still in the vehicle. may require numerous short internal flushes to get clean if it has never been serviced.

So I know this is is a fairly well covered topic since it was such a big design flaw on the edges. My 07 AWD edge has the dreaded PTU leak, it was confirmed at the dealer when I got some maintenance done a while ago. In the summer it can sit in my driveway and not drip at all, and as soon as it gets cold it starts to drip, very very little though. My question is, is it okay to drive it while it leaks like that? I don't really want to pay 1600 bucks to get the seal fixed, and that may not even fix the problem permanently. Just turned over 100 000 km today, and it's never been replaced. Or can it cause more damage over time?

Hey Joey183,

This question is best answered by the service manager at your Ford Dealer. In addition, you may contact the Ford Customer Relationship Centre at 1-800-565-3673.

Todd