2010 leaking gas tank

Andycapp

I began smelling gas fumes around my 2010 Edge Limited and took it to my dealer. He found the leak around the filler where you can see the mass of corrosion. As you can see from the other two pictures, the tank is in good shape with the exception of this 4 inch area around the tank, After paying $2700 for the repair, Ford claims the vehicle is out of warranty and the fault is a result of our environment. My new tank comes with a one year warranty or 20,000 kilometres. Since Ford admittedly does not make the Ford Edge for our Canadian environment, a Toyota may be in my near future.

My (small ) Ford dealer has replaced three other gas tanks on the 2010 model year, none of them covered with any warranty or assistance. I might suggest that anyone reading this have theirs checked out and if you see an issue, try to stop the corrosion before you have a leak.

It almost makes me cry..........we love this vehicle otherwise. I drove 10 hours home from a ski trip only stopping for gas and felt as fresh as a daisy when I got home. A very comfortable and fun vehicle to drive. If I did that same trip in my King Ranch, I would be crawling on my knees to the house. :cry:

post-29174-0-29808100-1389630423_thumb.jpg

post-29174-0-23764100-1389630464_thumb.jpg

post-29174-0-26829300-1389630513_thumb.jpg

Did you talk to Ford directly? Nobody should have to go through this kind of experience. If a manufacturer is selling equipment in a given region with known challenges, it should take responsibility for protecting said equipment from those challenges prior to sale. In this day and age, 3-4 year lifespan is a joke. Not like a fender rotting away. This is a serious safety issue.

Almost as bad/laughable as the NBC exploding gas tank special. A slap in the face considering that the Edge is built in Canada!!!

BTW, ExtraCare & PremiumCare supposedly cover the Fuel Tank & Lines.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

I have talked to Ford directly. Their stand is that the vehicle has gone beyond the warranty period. I guess it's "engineered to fail". The Ford Customer Service that made the statement "it's a result of the environment that you live in" will probably regret using those I really don't live in a harsh environment. I live in Southwestern Ontario where we get minimal snow and the car is kept in a garage every night. I was being fecetious.

This is a huge safety issue IMHO but Ford doesn't care. I have been told to fiberglass the area and dump the car. That doesn't address the safety issue. I paid the price and fixed it by replacing with genuine Ford parts at my expense. At this point in time, I just want owners to be aware, check their tanks and take the necessary steps to avoid this potentially dangerous situation. Once the tank leaks your choices are limited.

I never buy extended warranties (only time I wish I had). I trust that people, businesses and manufacturers will do the right thing. Sometimes they disappoint us.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I have a '07 FWD Edge fuel tank issue. The repair was done driver side top corner pin holes at a radiator shop....$75 plus new fuel pump $340.00...and cross my fingers....I live northeast Ohio and is driven in the winter...There was quite a bit of little pebbles on the rim (seam) area, so I'm sure salt lays there also. 112k miles on the vehicle...