tinted tails

Yeah, he asked what level I was looking for.

The do-it-yourself methods I've seen involve sanding and spraying from a can, or applying film-like window tinting (which is what you've done and show in the original post, right?)

Chad hasn't yet gotten back to me with a price for the tinting on Edge tails but another place replied this morning.

Their quote is $90 plus $20 for shipping. They also don't have Edge assemblies in stock so they too would require the lights to be sent (either off the Edge or purchased separately. At $300+ an entirely new set would be kind of pricey but would allow an owner to have the original untinted set on hand in case he or she needed to reinstall them. Also a new/second set would allow an owner to continue to drive their Edge while waiting the tinted set to arrive)

In their email reply this place stated a 2 day turnaround time not counting shipping. Their site says 3 days, possibly 4 if they're very busy.

Also, I see on this other site levels from light to medium to dark and includes options for light/medium and medium/dark... so there are obviously all sorts of levels available for all desired and to "match" all sorts of car colors.

Both Chad and this other place do very nice, professional work.

yes mine is just a film..

an idea would be for a group of us to buy a core set..split the 300 bucks ..say 5 ways..not too much OOP for each person..

only thing is..after everyone is done..what do you do with the last OEM core set? sell them on ebay? split the profit? hmmm..just thinking out loud..maybe the compnay..if the demand was high enough would consider buying a core set. I know I have seen 1 tail on ebay..

I just got a PM from Chad:

Scoopo - the easiest way to get a set, would probably be to have me order the lenses and pick them up at my ford dealer, that way it will save you on shipping. Also, there will be no down time with your vehicle, and i will be able to do them at my pace, rather than ship a set out before allowing for full cure time.

I will still need to look at a set. All i need to see is the dimensions and how the lens is built in order to get you an exact quote. You would probably be looking at around 85-100 dollars for the tails and probably about 25-40 dollars for the third. Sorry that is such a large range, but i just want to give you a relative cost. The most expensive lights i have ever done were 175 for the tails of a local lambo gallardo, so i am relatively reasonable, despite the car they go on.

I know the local dealer is a large supplier of Edge's, so i'll take a peak over there in the next day or so.

Chad.

Dude's done a Lamborghini! Wow, if I do say so myself :shades:

The pricing is right in line with the other place so that's great!

A few of us getting together sounds like a great idea, however we'd need to explore that further and get some other folks on board before it would be doable.

I like the idea of less cash outlay but I also like the idea of having an untinted set boxed up in case of any trouble with the police.

There are a lot of customized rides in my area so I really don't see where I would have a problem. I'm not a street racer and am too old to cruise the Boulevard any more... so it's unlikely I'll attract too much unwanted attention.

Also I've located a forum where a member posted up a ton of info on all sorts of laws (here in Georgia). The actual post is a couple years old but at least good for informational purposes

He included the following:

40-8-26. (Concerning Brake Lights/Turn Signals)

(a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped and when required under this article shall be equipped with the following signal lights or devices:

(1) A brake light on the rear which shall emit a red light and which shall be actuated upon application of the service (foot) brake and which may but need not be incorporated with a taillight; and

(2) A light or lights or mechanical signal device capable of clearly indicating any intention to turn either to the right or to the left and which shall be visible from both the front and the rear.

(b ) Every brake light shall be plainly visible and understandable from a distance of 300 feet to the rear both during normal sunlight and at nighttime, and every signal light or lights indicating intention to turn shall be visible and understandable during daytime and nighttime from a distance of 300 feet from both the front and the rear. When a vehicle is equipped with a brake light or other signal lights, such light or lights shall at all times be maintained in good working condition. No brake light or signal light shall project a glaring or dazzling light.

While your at it, look for replacement LED lamps at the brightest level you can get. Whatever you find, post the link/part number for others. When one person gets their original Tail-Lamp packages back, then the next person, would be looking at 2 weeks til he got his back, (shipping time/cost from one group member to the other)

You might try a post in the Group Buy forum, stating your ideas and get a list of people. Would it work? Until the first person that is set to mail them to the next decides not to, or until he gets ready to visit UPS.

You'd be better off, taping red plastic over the... oops, their would be no bulbs to shine without those Tail-Lamps there.... You'd just have to let it sit for a week til yours returned.

maybe on day..someone..will come up with SMOKED LED replacement tails..that would be awesome.

Yeah it would.

I expect one or both of the people I've been in contact with will soon enough stock the assemblies. When they do that it'd be a simple core swap & pay for the tinting situation.

In the meantime, as it is with most after market stuff for our Edges, it's so new the parts just aren't yet available.

With the popularity of the Edge it won't be long. We're seeing things come available little by little.

Chad got back to me with some info:

Scoopo -

I wanted to get back in touch and give you an update. I was out tonight and stopped in to look at the edges. As I had suspected, the outter lens is one piece, because of this, there is no way to leave any sections untinted, due to not having a "break" line. Basically, in most cars, the red outter lens has a clear reverse lens pressed into the red portion. This leaves a break, and makes for a clean line. So, basically, what i'm saying is, with the lens design of the edge, there is only one option, and that is to do a full lens tint. I offer light, medium, and dark. Dark is show use only, as it is not suitable for road driving. Light is a very very light tint, and medium gets you fairly dark, but still good light transmission. With any form of tinting, you will have light transmission loss the darker you go, but with medium you should still be very visible, both at night and more importantly during the day.

Back to the problem with being able to not leave a reverse section clear: without knowing my process you might not think this is a big deal, however, unlike many people (including those others online who sell tinted tail lights) all they do is take a little black paint, and thin it with clear coat. They then just run it through a gun, and call it a custom lens. However, my process is much more involved, and much more time consuming. I actually dip the lenses in a liquid bath to apply the tint, much in the same way as hydro-graphics are done. The tint binds to the outside of the lens, and then hardens in a relatively quick amount of time. Once the tint is cured, i then use a high quality clear to protect the very thin amount of tint that is bound to the lens. The lenes are then wetsanded out and then buffed out. This isn't my main business, just a hobby, but i have a process no one else has, and i enjoy doing it. So, basically, unlike some of the other Dot.com tinted tail places, you're not just another customer, i'm more personal and easy to get ahold of.

I've been doing this for about 2 years now. I got started on dodgetalk.com, but have expanded to a few other sites. If you go on dodgetalk.com, you will find my forum there with quite a few members pictures on there.

Perhaps an idea you may be interested in, if you have other members who are interested in, is i will start a core program, and once you purchase the core set, send me yours, and i'll refund the core amount (which would be the replacement cost for a new set of lenses - unfortunately they are expensive through ford, so i would probably try to find "new takes-offs" or those from a newer wrecked vehicle, so that they would be immaculate lenses. i dont deal in junk.

If you have any questions let me know.

Chad.

He also replied later with a price quote of $95 for the tails and $30 for the third brake light. Plus shipping.

I need to reply to him about whether he would do the searching for the core lenses or if I/we would need to locate them.

The MSRP is pretty high. The discounted OEM pieces I found, as I said, are much cheaper but still come in at around $300 for all three.

I'd jump on this right now if not for the thought of the additional $300+ ... so this core program is something I'm very interested in.

EDIT: Chad is a sponsor at, and has tons of pics and info, at dodgetalk.com. Check THIS section.

His process produces absolutely AMAZING results!

UNIQUE COATINGS

Edited by scoopo