tinted tails

yea..it will peel off..and you can re-apply it anytime..

its not the best flm I have ever seen, but its not the most expensive either.

I had some on my wifes IS300 that was a blue color..it was really thick..(it had a purpose) and it laid down better then this does..

I am gonna take it off Sat. and reapply it..I couldn't get all the wrinkles out and it was getting dark.

Pics aren't great but we get the idea. Doesn't look bad, actually :)

I've been looking for nice tinted taillights since I got my black Edge but have passed on the films.

I did find a dude on line who custom tints tails, but not for the Edge (yet?). Beautiful work!

I'll dig up a link and post it. Maybe we can get some really nice professional stuff going...

Finally found it again (yeah, I bookmarked the page but was looking for Fusion when it was actually a Focus forum :rolleyes: )

Check out this work:

post-1289-1193529623_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1193529630_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1193529641_thumb.jpg

I LOVE the way the reverse light section isn't tinted!

I registered on the site and PMd the guy who does the work, asking if he could or would do the same to a set of Edge tail lights and if so how much... or if not could he possibly direct me to someone who could.

I expect it wouldn't be the least expensive option but it sure is beautiful work! :shades:

I'll post again if/when I get a reply.

Edited by scoopo

I'm not usually one to post multiple times in a row but I got a reply from the gent who does the beautiful work above

I linked this forum and this thread and invited him to come on over.

Here's my PM and his reply from the Focus forum:

Hi Chad,

I ran across your thread about the prototype tinted tail lights for the Focus while Googling some weeks ago.

Pardon me if I'm in any way out of line registering on these forums just to send you a PM.

I purchased a new 2007 Ford Edge CUV in early August.

I chose the black clearcoat paint and have since tinted the windows in the front (rest of the windows are factory tinted to 20%), installed H&R Sport springs and a set of black Zinik Violi 20" rims.

Obviously, I think, I'm going for a black on black "stealth" effect with my Edge.

After seeing the absolutely beautiful tail lights in your thread I decided to PM and ask if you still do this and if so would you be willing to do the same to a set of 07 Ford Edge tails. And if so what you'd charge. Or, if not, would you happen to know someone who could and/or would and if you could direct me to him or her.

I have no doubt you get requests like this often but thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks a ton in advance.

Scoop

Scoop - i get pm's all the time, so no worries. Yes, i can do them for your car. Unfortunately, i dont stock core lenses for the edge, so you would have to send in your own. I will have to look at an edge more closely to get you an exact quote. Were you looking for a full blackout?

If you do decide to go with me, you'd be looking at around a 3-4 day turnaround, plus ship time.

Let me know if you're interested, and in the meantime, i'll get on the lookout for an edge.

Chad.

As he doesn't stock (as of yet?) the Edge tail light assemblies, below are some links to said OEM assemblies:

Left and Right

3rd, or "High mount lamp"

A full set of left, right, and "upper", before shipping and of course not counting Chad's tint work, come in at $303.33

Links to a better price will be very much appreciated by myself and probably others.

I am awaiting a quote on his work before I sign on and purchase new assemblies to send him... but believe me I will be scoring myself a set of these bad boys very soon :D B)

There are laws about the tint to windows, I don't know what their is about lumen output of lamps. But worth trying to find out. I had a Pontiac Fiero once with dark tinted lenses from the factory. Lamps may need to be replaced is all. Kinda upsets me to see my small town pit-bull of a cop sitting along side the road with Limo-tint to his windows. If it is a RED glow, when lit, then a DARK color shouldn't matter at all.

They did look nice, and if the reflective properties still remain after tint, I'd assume it's all legit.

There are laws about the tint to windows, I don't know what their is about lumen output of lamps. But worth trying to find out. I had a Pontiac Fiero once with dark tinted lenses from the factory. Lamps may need to be replaced is all. Kinda upsets me to see my small town pit-bull of a cop sitting along side the road with Limo-tint to his windows. If it is a RED glow, when lit, then a DARK color shouldn't matter at all.

They did look nice, and if the reflective properties still remain after tint, I'd assume it's all legit.

cops have the do as I say, not as I do..which is bullshit..tint is tint..cop car or civilian..its shouldn't matter.

as long as the retro red reflector still reflects it should be legal..on that all black..thats a different story.

can he just 'smoke' them and not totally black them out..blacked out would get me a ticket for sure...a light smoking would be nice too..

Somewhere there is a step by step process on one of the forums I am on about 'smoking lenses' yourself..its not that hard to do..

Yeah, he asked what level I was looking for.

The do-it-yourself methods I've seen involve sanding and spraying from a can, or applying film-like window tinting (which is what you've done and show in the original post, right?)

Chad hasn't yet gotten back to me with a price for the tinting on Edge tails but another place replied this morning.

Their quote is $90 plus $20 for shipping. They also don't have Edge assemblies in stock so they too would require the lights to be sent (either off the Edge or purchased separately. At $300+ an entirely new set would be kind of pricey but would allow an owner to have the original untinted set on hand in case he or she needed to reinstall them. Also a new/second set would allow an owner to continue to drive their Edge while waiting the tinted set to arrive)

In their email reply this place stated a 2 day turnaround time not counting shipping. Their site says 3 days, possibly 4 if they're very busy.

Also, I see on this other site levels from light to medium to dark and includes options for light/medium and medium/dark... so there are obviously all sorts of levels available for all desired and to "match" all sorts of car colors.

Both Chad and this other place do very nice, professional work.