Software - any news on another update; post 3.6.2 / August 2013

Josh51

Seems like the various small software issues in the 2013 Edge models, not being addressed by Ford ? Assume, now that 2014's are out, and we're left aside for the new product push. Had hoped there would be continued effort to resolve / improve the software side of the system - nothing new since August 2013 ? Anyone hear / know differently ?

• 3 weeks later...

Just because it's backwards compatible, does that mean Ford will go through all of the licensing for their existing vehicles? If so, at what point will it stop? I can't see them upgrading 7 years worth of sync system to the new Blackberry system.

Ā 

It may only be MFT, not sync by itself so that limits the number of vehicles. I would be surprised if it's licensed by vehicle. They may charge an upgrade fee for older vehicles.

I know the big update coming from Ford this year is the AppLink upgrade. It's supposed to be upgradable for over 3.4 million cars and trucks. Only problems from what I've read though, is it will not be available for any of the MFT or MLT vehicles, or vehicles older than the 2010 models.

Ā 

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/03/ford-to-offer-free-sync-applink-update/

Just because it's backwards compatible, does that mean Ford will go through all of the licensing for their existing vehicles? If so, at what point will it stop? I can't see them upgrading 7 years worth of sync system to the new Blackberry system.

My guess would be that MFT an MLT will be upgradeable as installed, but that you would be able to ditch SYNC and move to QNX for a licence fee...hope that any fee would be negotiatied and offered at a reduced price...along with a replacement plaque to cover the SYNC logo on the console....

Don't bet on it, twintornados! If the QNX is hardware specific (and my bet is that it is), I seriously doubt that it will be backwards compatible to MFT equipped vehicles unless Ford pays for it. Think about the odds of that. My bet is that all future software upgrades for MFT will be minor maintenance releases. Consequently, get used to the SYNC console logo as long as you own that MKX. Then again, I'd be pleased to be proven wrong. :^)

• Like 1