2008 Edge cooling system problem

camocal

Hello i'm new to the forum, glad to find it!

My Edge has 66,000 miles on it and i noticed steam coming from under the hood and the overflow cap was leaking. I changed out that cap and the system was about 3/4 gallon low on coolant. I filled the overflow to level and started it and let it get warm. Temp gauge goes all of the way to hot but no coolant leaks. I checked the oil and is normal and no white smoke coming out of exhaust? I was thinking perhaps the issue is a stuck thermostat? What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Replacing the thermostat would be a good idea. I'd also make sure the radiator fans are coming on when the temp is getting that high. The fan motor might have failed.

Caps do get stuck on occasion as well, tho not as much with today's vehicles it seems.

Ok I have tested the system and the cooling fans are not coming on when it gets hot. I replaced the fuse that controls them and i tested entry and exit wires on the fan control module that the fans plug into and i have power with a test light. So the fans are the problem but how do i test those?

By frequency of occurrence, I suspect the cooling fan motor is at fault. You may want to replace the entire assembly due to cost reasons:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/12731-radiator-fan-assembly-replacement-procedure/

This is the basic procedure from the 2007's workshop manual:

Cooling Fan Motor and Shroud

2007 Edge Cooling Fan Radiator Exploded Diagram

Item Part Number Description 1 13A506 Wiring harness retainer (5 required) 2 8B274 Upper radiator hose 3 14A464 Cooling fan motor and shroud electrical connector 4 W503924 Cooling fan motor and shroud bolt (2 required) 5 8C607 Cooling fan motor and shroud 6 W503924 Oil cooler bracket bolt (if equipped) 7 — Oil cooler bracket (if equipped)

Removal and Installation

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .
  1. Remove the air cleaner assembly. For additional information, refer to Section 303-12 .
  1. If equipped, detach the 2 block heater wiring clips from the radiator support.

2007 Edge Block Heater Wiring Clips If equipped

1. Detach the 5 wiring harness retainers and position the harness aside.
  1. Position aside the upper radiator hose from the cooling fan motor and shroud.
  1. Disconnect the cooling fan motor and shroud electrical connector.
  1. If equipped, remove the bolt and position aside the oil cooler bracket.
    • To install, tighten to 6 Nm (53 lb-in).
  1. Remove the 2 bolts and the cooling fan motor and shroud.
    • To install, tighten to 6 Nm (53 lb-in).
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

Cool, I had come to the exact same conclusion before I checked back on this thread so I'm glad you backed up my conclusion. It doesn't look like the control motor can be purchased seperately bolted to the fan from what I can see? I ordered the entire assembly from partsgeek today.

Thank you so much for helping me. People like you make the world a better place. :) Awesome instructions I will report back when I get the repair completed. Saved me about $550 vs taking it to the shop.