Car won't lock by touching door handle, but will unlock

Hey Guys-

First post here, we've owned two edge's and we love em. Great cars that are comfortable and chock full of storage space.

So, we recently sold our SEL and bought a Limited with the remote start/IA key. We love the idea of being able to simply touch the door handle when we exit and lock the car and being able to unlock the car via the handle when we get back to the car. However, about three weeks ago it quit allowing us to lock the car. I can lock it from the remote and unlock it via the remote AND handle but I cannot lock the car via the handle. When I attempt to lock the car via the handle I hear the unlock noise (like I would if I repeatedly hit the unlock button on the fob) so, maybe we screwed up a sequence?

Any ideas what may be happening here? This is a common technology on most cars today and it shouldn't be rocket science.

Thanks guys! Glad to be apart of the forum!

FTFY. ;)

But who reads that? I'll admit I had the same difficulty with mine when I first got it. Just assumed the entire door handle was a switch that either locked or unlocked just based on the previous lock state. Some things you just expect to be intuitive in a different way than they are.

But who reads that? I'll admit I had the same difficulty with mine when I first got it. Just assumed the entire door handle was a switch that either locked or unlocked just based on the previous lock state. Some things you just expect to be intuitive in a different way than they are.

Our other car doesn't follow this rule. So I think I was just confusing the technology. Granted, Ford could make the handle more intelligent. Toyota can handle the scenario just fine (despite having the same segregated limits in hand location for either operation).