Now I'm confused

Today, on the way home from work I received a text message from a coworker. I don't recall if I gave him my private phone number. I listened to message while driving via MFT. Oh great, need to spend time reading some Oracle logs! I arrive at home realizing it's not a text message, but an email from a Microsoft Exchange server.

When did we start receiving email notifications on MFT? I know I receive several work emails while driving and the system never notified me.

I'm running IOS 7. whatever the latest; I'm to lazy to look. No big deal to me, but wondering why?

I think It's all notifications. I noticed this on my iPhone a couple of days ago. RadarCast was telling me that it was going to rain at my house.

I haven't changed anything lately so I have no idea why is started happening.

You can receive emails as text messages with most providers by addressing the email to your phone number at the provider's domain. For example, AT&T has 1234567890@txt.att.net. Other providers have similar setups. Email sent to that address will be treated as a text message by your phone. It's invaluable for use with systems that can email but not text directly. I have used that option for many years to get automated alerts from network monitoring systems and even to "page" me when somebody leaves a voicemail on my office phone.