2013 Ford Edge Limited. . .dead in the driveway

jetcycles

Just checking in to see if anyone has any insight to the issues we're having with a 2013 Ford Edge Limited (non ecoboost) with 19,XXX miles on the odometer. My wife text me yesterday to let me know her edge "wouldn't start" and that she was taking my Tundra to work. I hate it when she touches my truck! Anyway, I stopped by the house to see what's going on with her SUV, and upon pushing the start button on the dash, all I hear is a repeated series of clicking and "Check Charging System" flashes on the left side of the dash. The other display screens are all white, and I see the words "turning off to save battery" on the navigation screen. I assume it's a dead battery, hook up the trickle charger, and hit the road in my work truck to check on a pipeline station. Fast Forward 5 hours and I disconnect the charger and try to start the car with no luck. Same results as earlier, yet this time when I walk away, the radio comes on and I can't turn it off by any means. Locked the doors and the radio shuts off, then the radio comes back on when I'm digging out the "good" battery charger. Hooked up the battery charger and leave it overnight, same exact scenario when I tried to start it at 5am this morning. I'm going to assume that the battery has a bad cell and will not hold a charge. Ford roadside assistance is on the way to tow the vehicle to the shop. I understand the low battery not starting the vehicle, but what drained the battery overnight? What the heck is going on with the radio turning itself on? I'll be sure to update all once this is resolved.

Any equipment left plugged into the power points? Any new electronics (lighting/audio/security etc) installed? Parked outside, or in the garage (thinking heat related)? Any troubles with the CD player skipping etc.?

When was the Edge manufactured? If early on in 2012, could indeed be a failing battery, as you have espoused.

It's possible MFT stayed on after the vehicle was turned off. Make sure MFT is up to date.

You should still be able to jump it and drive it to the dealership if it's still under the B2B warranty. Otherwise just drive it to Advanced or Autozone and get a new battery. Mine never last more than 3 years anyway.

Then check to see if anything is staying on.

No equipment left plugged in, vehicle is bone stock with the exception of all weather floor liners. I don't visit the forum enough to know the acronyms, but I'm guessing MFT is My Ford Touch, and it could have stayed on? I'm not sure how to verify that MFT is up to date, nor how to update if necessary. The Edge, Tundra, and my F150 work truck stay outdoors. . .hot rods and custom cars occupy the indoor spaces. This is my wife's vehicle, I only touch it to perform routine maintenance and wash/wax. Thanks for the replies.

Edited to add: According to the Ford website, Sync is up to date on this vehicle.

Edited by jetcycles