Howdy....newbie here!

carjock

I just bought a BRAND NEW 2013 Ford Edge SEL AWD... that's right, a 2013 with 0 miles, brand new, off a dealer lot. I was "sort of" looking at the 2014's as my 2009 Explorer was just becoming too much for me and I wanted a more "car-like" vehicle. I tried them all....Ford really does win! Anyway, a dealer friend of mine called to inform me that his lot had this brand new 2013 SEL at a very attractive price. Apparently someone ordered this car about 9 months ago and when it came in, the guy had gone bankrupt, which apparently tied the car up for several months, When it was returned to the lot for sale, the 2014;s had come out, which made this 2013 a year outdated. Also, this is no ordinary SEL....it was ordered with EVERY available Ford option, which drove the sticker price up to above the level of a heavily loaded Limited model and even encroached on the MKX! It's a beautiful car (the ruby red color) with all of the upgrades. The dealer needed to get this car out of his inventory and began offering me some pretty good deals including the trade of my Explorer. After about a month of "dickering", we finally came to a deal and I got the car for what I consider an absolute steal! What a rig....beautiful, responsive, comfortable, and loaded with gadgets that I will probably never figure out. It's fun to play with.

I've never seen an Edge equipped quite like this one....the only chrome on the car is one piece above the painted grill and one piece on the tailgate....it is very monochromatic, and has the black/machined 20" wheels (which I hated at first but have now learned to really like them). I like that it looks different than most Edges on the road (and there are a lot of them). Now all I have to do is go back to college and get a new bachelor's degree on how to operate all of the electronic gizmos on this thing. I have now driven the car for about 3 weeks and absolutely love it. I see by reading this site that these complex cars can be a bit cantankerous, so I'm hoping I might have lucked out and got a good one? Everything works great so far.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new Edge! Great story :thumbsup: and glad you could get a great deal. Ruby red IS a striking color, and the wheel styling does grow on you :)

Do you by any chance know the production date on your Edge? You can run the VIN here http://www.etis.ford.com/ to find out. Only curious to see how long it's been on the lot for battery life reasons. Usually, with a brand new battery you can get 3 years out of it.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Wow! I looked at the "data sticker" on the car, and it shows a date of 10/13. That seemed late enough to make the car a 2014 to me so I used the "VIN Decoder" in the above mentioned website (lots of info there). It actually confirmed a build date of 10'29/13 at the Oakville, Ontario plant. I always thought that they ceased production of the previous year's model in July or August of the preceding year? My car's build date seems to be October 29 of 2013. Is that for real? Is my car a 2013 or did something get screwed up and it is really 2014? That would be cool!

This is a bit of a mystery! I guess that someone could have ordered the car in something like June of 2013 and it took the factory until October to complete building the car. The question then becomes "when is the VIN assigned to the car"? If it was on the date of order, the car would be a 2013, but if the VIN was assigned upon completion of the build, it would be a 2014. But this would imply that they have to run "side by side" 2013/2014 assembly lines for a few months each year. Interesting question.

Not to beat this subject to death, but I got interested enough in the build date vs model year discrepancy on my new 2013 Edge to call the owner of the dealership from whom I bought the car. He basically said that the Edge is a relatively "long lead time" vehicle (it takes a long time between ordering a new car and actually receiving it....really? I wouldn't know) Anyway, he said this car was ordered in very late 2013 which put it in the build "que" at the same time that the 2014 models were coming out. So, what Ford does in this situation is to keep one assembly line supplied with 2013 model parts while the 2014's will be being built right along the same line. He said that mine was the latest build date for this to actually come to his attention, and my car was probably built with 99% 2014 parts, with only 2013 specific items used where appearance and/or option changes occurred. Of course, once the car is complete, the VIN will depict a 2013 model. He agreed that this seemed sort of "bogus", but he said that they haven't come up with a better way to do it. And he said the same issue spreads across all high-volume Ford vehicles. Anyway, it looks like I got sort of an oddball car that was built on a 2014 assembly line but is fitted out and certified as a 2013. Actually, I think that's kind of cool as it means I really have a "newer" car than I thought I was buying.