Need help buying a 2013 Edge Sport AWD

Hi all, I have been lurking the forums for quite some time now and decided to register. Lots of information and thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

I am about to buy a fully loaded "DEMO" 2013 Edge Sport AWD with 13,000km from a Ford dealer and I would like to know if I am missing things to check to make sure I am not buying a lemon.

1. Ask about the battery problems

2. Ask about the wheels causing problems to tire pressure

3. Ask dealer if all TSBs have been done on it

4. Check if AC smells

5. Ask if MFT has been updated to latest version

6. Make sure its not been built before may 2011 (I guess thats not possible since its a 2013)

Also, the salesman told me since its a demo unit the guarantee has not yet been applied to the car so it will start fresh, what are DEMO units anyways? Is this a good or a bad thing?

Thanks for your advices.

Edited by metalfred

Congrats! What color did you go with?

You had most of the bases covered, make sure you get the alignment checked elsewhere (regardless of what the dealer says) to save your tires.

Do you have the panoramic sunroof/moonroof also? Make sure that is working smoothly, as it may need lube on the tracks.

AWD hasn't really been a problem in 2011+, so hopefully yours won't be either.

Its white :)

Thanks for the tips about alignment, I will make sure its checked.

Yes, I have read about the sunroof problems some people have, lacking power, etc, I will check it also.

Going from a Dodge RAM 2011 to a Ford Edge 2013, I really hope I won't be missing my RAM (which is a really nice truck).

-fred

Bad news...!

Just had a call from the dealer, they wrecked it while driving it to my town last night...

The dealer told me they will replace all parts with brand new ones (front bumper, fender, headlight and maybe the hood).

Since I haven't bought it yet, I told them I will think about it and won't be buying it at the price we agreed a few days ago.

The dealer is waiting for my offer, now my question is how much less money this "not new anymore" car is worth... any ideas? I was buying it at 38 000 CAD.

Thanks for your help (pissed off)

Doesn't sound worth it to me anymore unless they give it to you for 20,000 out the door. Will the mfr warranty cover everything, damages resulting from the accident that reveal themselves over time? Do you want to deal with the potential headaches? Will the paint match perfectly? How much does the insurance company think it's worth?

I'd be ROYALLY pissed off. They should've been delivering it on a trailer, not driving it. I'd walk away, even though it means starting the search all over again.

Very few dealers other than higher end luxury brands trailer their dealer trade cars. Many dealerships employ retired people to drive the traded cars from one dealer to another. Some dealerships have the salesman do the driving of the trades. The distance between the dealers doing the trade may also factor in if the trade is driven or trailerd. If it's too many miles, many dealers won't even trade.

Stuff happens and there's not much you can do about it. I would not want a car with known damage that is brand new unless it was for a killer price. Even then it would depend if I was planning on keeping the car until the wheels fell off, or if I get a new car every 3 or 4 years or so.

Perhaps you can find another 2013 equipped the same or similar way, or the dealer will be willing to deal on a similar 2014 for just a few hundred more.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

I just told the salesman that I won't buy that car anymore. I told him to talk to his boss (back on monday from vacation) and the only way for me to buy it would be them making a really good deal that I couldn't refuse.

Before the wreck, I made a 500$ deposit and they better not tell me they won't refund it if I don't buy the car next week.

So here is an update, they lowered the price to 36 500 CAD and added a set of new Toyo winter tires. I told them I accept the offer only if they install all brand new parts and if I sign all papers / give my trade in car after I see the repaired car. If the car looks good I will buy it.

Stay tuned.