Weak engine start / Power issue

mcali6301

I'm at 46K bought the car cert pre owned at 19K.....

Suddenly start the car this morning and it gives this very low weak start however the engine turns over just fine...before i started the car the screen had a message "System off to save Battery" with the progress bar. then when I placed my key in the ignition it said "System off to save battery, Please turn ignition off or start engine.

I drove to work like normal, nothing out of the ordinary...I get to work, shut down and I get the same message and the same startup sequence..(I thought perhaps the battery would charge while on the 15 mile commute...

Since day one I have had a phone charger plugged in sometimes even 2 and that never caused any power issues....I've added a USB drive in there about a month ago and no issues till this morning so hard to believe the power issue can be coming from end of things.....

I'm thinking best case scenario, battery just needs to be replaced?

Thoughts?

Obviously I'll be calling the dealer this morning to bring it in but just wanted to get some ideas and thoughts also....

I've never had a battery (factory or aftermarket) last more than 3 - 3.5 years. Some factors can affect that (temp, driving cycle, accessories) but you can also just get a bad cell sometimes. At this point I'd recommend getting a new one anyway just to be safe ($100 or so at most places). At least you would be able to rule that out and not worry about it for another 3-4 years.

Battery was bad, had it replaced. Once this new battery is done and warranty is up I'll start looking for a higher end battery...

Don't waste your money. I haven't found any difference in battery life between the cheap or expensive ones. In most cases you're just paying more for the longer warranty.

Think about it. I can buy the same vehicle from Ford with either a 3 yr 36K mile warranty or a 7 yr 100K mile warranty. I just have to pay about $1500 more for the longer version. The vehicle itself isn't any different. Once you get past the CCA capacity it's mostly warranty cost.