Installing a remote starter

Calling out any Ford Techs who can help me...

I am considering installing a remote starter in my 2007 Edge.

A dealer wants to charge $700Cdn - a little more than a half day labour plus $300+ for the starter.

An aftermarket spot, recommended by another Ford dealer = $249Cdn installed.

Do I have warranty issues with an aftermarket install ? and is the Ford installed price just overpriced?

Calling out any US Ford Tech in Buffalo NY area - can you do it for cheaper?

Thanks in advance

A dealer wants to charge $700Cdn - a little more than a half day labour plus $300+ for the starter.

Do I have warranty issues with an aftermarket install ? and is the Ford installed price just overpriced?

Thanks in advance

I'm interested in this topic as well, but would like to know if anyone in the Plattsburg New York area can do it for less than the Ford dealers in the Montreal area. Thanks. :hyper:

I'm interested in this topic as well, but would like to know if anyone in the Plattsburg New York area can do it for less than the Ford dealers in the Montreal area. Thanks. :hyper:

Good day Edgegirl,

Living in Pointe-Claire (West island) and currently resurecting this subject.

Now that the winter tires are on order, next is the remote starter.

Currently looking at the Autostart AS-2451TW-FM or any other brand that is 2 way no alarm.

The dealer approach does not appeal me either.

Let me know how it turns out.

Marc G

Just got off the phone with Lazer Auto

LAZER AUTO

9900 HENRI-BOURASSA W.

VILLE ST-LAURENT, QUEBEC, CANADA

H4S 1R5

TELEPHONE: (514) 334-4785

I was looking for the AutoStart remote only Model #AS-2451TW-FM

They offer the Autostart model for $399 installed including the PATS module and door lock and trunk relay.

The AutoStart remote starter are designed and manufactured here in Montreal:

http://www.autostart.ca/

Autostart

5764 Paré Ave

Montreal, Quebec

Canada H4P 2M2

Phone

514-738-9750

Fax

514-738-4365

Toll Free

1-866-738-9750

Technical Support

1-800-228-5190

I had one on my old Honda. Worked great.

The Lazer guy said they installed it on Ford model all the time especially for the guys/gals working at Bombardier (huge parking lot) because of the range they have.

Might be worth having a look at it.

It is a 2 way system with no alarm but you can have a similar model with alarm as well.

Marc G

Just got off the phone with Lazer Auto

LAZER AUTO

9900 HENRI-BOURASSA W.

VILLE ST-LAURENT, QUEBEC, CANADA

H4S 1R5

TELEPHONE: (514) 334-4785

I was looking for the AutoStart remote only Model #AS-2451TW-FM

They offer the Autostart model for $399 installed including the PATS module and door lock and trunk relay.

The AutoStart remote starter are designed and manufactured here in Montreal:

http://www.autostart.ca/

Autostart

5764 Paré Ave

Montreal, Quebec

Canada H4P 2M2

Phone

514-738-9750

Fax

514-738-4365

Toll Free

1-866-738-9750

Technical Support

1-800-228-5190

I had one on my old Honda. Worked great.

The Lazer guy said they installed it on Ford model all the time especially for the guys/gals working at Bombardier (huge parking lot) because of the range they have.

Might be worth having a look at it.

It is a 2 way system with no alarm but you can have a similar model with alarm as well.

Marc G

Thanks Marc....I'll look into it before it gets any colder.

Did you compare the price with Lebeau or any other places, for better prices?

BTY...I'm a fellow Pointe-Claire -er !!

:cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Thanks Marc....I'll look into it before it gets any colder.

Did you compare the price with Lebeau or any other places, for better prices?

BTY...I'm a fellow Pointe-Claire -er !!

:cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Good evening Edgegirl,

Good to here from a P-C fellower...hehehe

No, I did not looked at Lebeau besides seeing they have the Orbit Remote Starteron their website.

It just does not inspire me.

Which color is your Edge?

I might try to spot you on St-John Street or by Fairview center, you knows. :shades:

Did you get your winter tires yet?

Which brand did you choose?

Marc G

Good evening Edgegirl,

Good to here from a P-C fellower...hehehe

No, I did not looked at Lebeau besides seeing they have the Orbit Remote Starteron their website.

It just does not inspire me.

Which color is your Edge?

I might try to spot you on St-John Street or by Fairview center, you knows. :shades:

Did you get your winter tires yet?

Which brand did you choose?

Marc G

Hi Marc,

I guess I need to do some research to see which remote starter model inspires me!

My Edge is a Creme Brulee Limited Edition with Camel Color interior. Its beautiful!! :happy feet:

No winters tires, I will stick with the All Seasons that came with the vehicle. 18"Pirellis.

What color and model is your Edge?

How long have you had it?

Hi Marc,

I guess I need to do some research to see which remote starter model inspires me!

My Edge is a Creme Brulee Limited Edition with Camel Color interior. Its beautiful!! :happy feet:

No winters tires, I will stick with the All Seasons that came with the vehicle. 18"Pirellis.

What color and model is your Edge?

How long have you had it?

Hi Edgegirl,

Mine is the "poster copper" or if you prefer blazing copper.

It is the 2007 SEL AWD with no moonroof, with roof rails, with rear entertainement system, with Class 2 hitch.

I wanted the price to stay under $40k. I have my GPS on my Axim so I was not inspire to get the Ford navigation system.

I got it last March (21) and now have $6500km on the meter.

Since it is mostly my winter ride, I wanted the roof rail for the sausage (Thule box) but the roof rail capacity is less than 100lbs which is totally useless as far as I am concerned. Thule has now come up with adapters that do not use the Ford roof rails. I am doublely screwed cause now it interfere with the Ford rails :banghead: .

It is my first car with automatic transmission. Even our X5 is manual as well as the 2 Mustangs. Although the auto trans does a good job, it does not have the throttle response a manual transmission car has. It think Ford needs to revisit the gear shift programming points. sometimes the transmission gets confused as to which gear to use especially in traffic and on the highway.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the EDGE.

I just found, in the cie parking lot an Creme Brulee Limited Edition EDGE. I have not looked inside yet to see the interior.

I believe it is a 2008 cause it has different rims. It looks it has the BAMR.

Take care,

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks in advance

Edgy Girl,

I finally decided on my remote starter.

I got the Nustart 8000 from Bestbuy.

I had to buy the idatalink module for the PATS system.

I have an appointment next Thrusday (Nov 29) at Bestbuy Faireview Pointe-Claire for the install.

The range is one of the longest I have found and the Bestbuy guys did 1 install on an Edge.

They quote me 3 hours.

I have requested to have the rear defrost being controlled by the remote as well but not the seats.

Will keep you posted on how the system works and the install went.

The system is 280$ (installed included) some extra for the rear defrost.

The bypass module is $80

Shop supplies is $5 and the un-install at the end of my lease is $25.

All and all with taxes it came to $478CDN.

Marc

The Dealer installed remote start the single button is at best a piece that can even be done by a shade tree mechanic. Installation is not that difficult but the sacrifice is range. I have managed 250ft on average, not that impressive! I really hope this isn't the $700.00 piece they wanted to sell you! the installation by a professional is less than a hour and with redundancy can be done a little over a half of a hour!

The warranty coverage should not make a difference as long as the install is not a mess. I can honeslty say that most ford technicicans get heistant when troubleshooting and diagnosing electrical problems when aftermarket equipment is in the vehicle if the installation likes nice or not. if the install is done correctly and looks like it was professionally done you will have no worries.

imo $700.00 for the 6 button Ford/Code Alarm Remote start is also crazy, even if they hook up the rear defroster and illuminated pathway! my most expensive name brand system is considerably less(installed) and has 1 mile line of sight range with a 2 way LCD remote and a warranty that big box stores charge extra for!

The I-datalink piece is a good piece in extreme cold when PATS/Securelock will not even work. ther older pieces were known for current draw but have since been resolved. Interfacing with data is a good way to go. when the conventional method works good IMO why sell something that isn't needed!

Here are a few references to what else works and is a bit easier on the pocket!

Howards Keys 16093 Ford Securelock Key http://howardkeys.com/pdf/AutomotiveKeys/Ford.pdf

Directed Electronics 556U (bestbuy should have in stock) around $25.00

If your install shop sells autopage do not accept the UMB-3 bypass. I love autopage but their key bypass fails

you don't have to have the Key cut to program to the vehicle, your installer should know the process. Just make sure you take 2 of your already programmed keys so the uncut key can be programmed.

Programming the uncut key to your Edge is identical to programming a extra cut key with the exception that instead of inserting the unprogrammed key in the ignition switch and turning the ignition on. you press the remote start button and either have the key in the installed bypass module or just simply insert the uncut key into the ignition switch. when the securelock light on the dash is solid and goes out, the uncut key is programmed!

Just make sure when it's all said and done that you make sure all of the features you want are properly installed and all panels on the drivers side are snapped in tight. the kickpanel/scuffplates are notrious for breaking the clips off when not removed properly and the panel will leave a little gap where the lower b pillar panel and scuffplate snap together adjacent to the seat.

HTH!

I have a Viper alarm and remote start that cost me $199. It starts my car from easily 1/4 mile away, and it sends the remote a confirmation that the car is started or if the alarm is sounding or if the alarm has been tripped. I love it. Its coming out of my Escape and going into the new Edge whenever we decide on one. My vote is aftermarket all the way! Find a good audio shop and you can have it installed in about 1.5 - 2 hours

Edgy Girl,

I finally decided on my remote starter.

I got the Nustart 8000 from Bestbuy.

I had to buy the idatalink module for the PATS system.

I have an appointment next Thrusday (Nov 29) at Bestbuy Faireview Pointe-Claire for the install.

The range is one of the longest I have found and the Bestbuy guys did 1 install on an Edge.

They quote me 3 hours.

I have requested to have the rear defrost being controlled by the remote as well but not the seats.

Will keep you posted on how the system works and the install went.

The system is 280$ (installed included) some extra for the rear defrost.

The bypass module is $80

Shop supplies is $5 and the un-install at the end of my lease is $25.

All and all with taxes it came to $478CDN.

Marc

[i look forward to hearing how the instal goes and if it lives up to your expectations. Thanks for keeping me informed. I'll look for you in the Fairview Shopping Center! :shades: ]

Good day Edgegirl,

Had made a reply this morning but somehow it got screwed up when I hit the post buttons so here it is.

Went for the install as plan last Thursday.

Everything went well.

It took the 3 hours they said. I don’t know if they rushed it or took their time, I was at the Second Cup on St-John doing some reports…

The system works fine.

I had the rear toaster (defrost) hooked up when I remote start the car.

The system comes with 2 remotes:

1 2-way remote (8000R) with LCD panel and icons that provide status.

1 1-way remote (2000R) without 2-way confirmation and without LCD of course.

I can lock and unlock the doors using anyone of the 2 remotes and the 2 OEM keys.

This system, by the way, does not require you to leave 1 OEM key in the car all the time like some of the remote systems do. You will need the 2 OEM keyless at the time of install so they can be programmed in the bypass PATS (I-datalink).

I have not tested the remote maximum distance capability. 5000’ is almost the distance between Fairview and my house…It is a long walk just to test it. But I can tell that from my office, I can start the car and I received confirmation. My previous system (Prostart), although a 1-way system, could not start the car unless I had a clear view of the remote antenna. Now, at least I do not have to run to an office window facing the parking lot to get the car started.

Since it is my first 2-way remote system, I cannot comment on the system performance versus other systems. I can just say it does what I was looking for.

Here’s the NuStart website:

http://nustart.ca/models/NUS-8000/

Model is the NUS-8000 (remote only not alarm). You can see the 2 remotes (8000R 7 2000R) on the web site. The one way remote comes from the NUS-2000.

Hope this helps.

I'll be happy to look for you too in the Fairview Shopping Center! although I would not know how to recognize you :shades: Might be easier to look for your EDGE in the parking lot...hehehe B)

Marc G

• 2 weeks later...
Good day Edgegirl,

Had made a reply this morning but somehow it got screwed up when I hit the post buttons so here it is.

Went for the install as plan last Thursday.

Everything went well.

It took the 3 hours they said. I don’t know if they rushed it or took their time, I was at the Second Cup on St-John doing some reports…

The system works fine.

I had the rear toaster (defrost) hooked up when I remote start the car.

The system comes with 2 remotes:

1 2-way remote (8000R) with LCD panel and icons that provide status.

1 1-way remote (2000R) without 2-way confirmation and without LCD of course.

I can lock and unlock the doors using anyone of the 2 remotes and the 2 OEM keys.

This system, by the way, does not require you to leave 1 OEM key in the car all the time like some of the remote systems do. You will need the 2 OEM keyless at the time of install so they can be programmed in the bypass PATS (I-datalink).

I have not tested the remote maximum distance capability. 5000’ is almost the distance between Fairview and my house…It is a long walk just to test it. But I can tell that from my office, I can start the car and I received confirmation. My previous system (Prostart), although a 1-way system, could not start the car unless I had a clear view of the remote antenna. Now, at least I do not have to run to an office window facing the parking lot to get the car started.

Since it is my first 2-way remote system, I cannot comment on the system performance versus other systems. I can just say it does what I was looking for.

Here’s the NuStart website:

http://nustart.ca/models/NUS-8000/

Model is the NUS-8000 (remote only not alarm). You can see the 2 remotes (8000R 7 2000R) on the web site. The one way remote comes from the NUS-2000.

Hope this helps.

I'll be happy to look for you too in the Fairview Shopping Center! although I would not know how to recognize you :shades: Might be easier to look for your EDGE in the parking lot...hehehe B)

Marc G

Hi Marc,

How do you like this snow?? Sure glad I have the Edge.......it handles great in this weather. Looks like we are going to follow your lead and get the Best Buy remote starter as well. Will probably go and have it installed during the holidays. I have another question for you. Did you get Winter tires for your Edge? If yes, what kind did you go for and where did you get them?

Thanks for the tips!

Terri :happy feet:

Hi Marc,

How do you like this snow?? Sure glad I have the Edge.......it handles great in this weather. Looks like we are going to follow your lead and get the Best Buy remote starter as well. Will probably go and have it installed during the holidays. I have another question for you. Did you get Winter tires for your Edge? If yes, what kind did you go for and where did you get them?

Thanks for the tips!

Terri :happy feet:

Hi Edgegirl,

Adam at Best buy did the install.

He should have no problem to do your install.

As for winter tires, I always go to Pneus Rallye, 645 Bord du Lac, Dorval, tel 514-636-4605.

From HWY 20, take Dorval Ave to Lakeshore, turn left (east) and few stops later it is on your left.

I must have bought 24 tires (6 sets from them) so far. Always good service. With 4 cars (2 Mustangs and a BMW X5) tires go fast...

I got the Blizzak DM-Z3 235/65R18. It was not my first choice but that's all they could provide. They had to order them from the states. Took 1 week. That was in November.

Give them a call. Last week we had to change the winter tire on the X5 and they had them in stock adn had a rendez-vous the same day I called.

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

Ok.. after much thought.... I decided not to do the remote starter... WHY?

1. Idling fuel consumption

2. Idling bad for the environment

3. Heated seats - make the short cold wait bearable.

4. Just ain't worth it for the few times I would use it.

Much thanks for all your advice... I did give it serious thought.. and I just couldn't justify it to myself.

Happy New Year everyone