That black box attached to the tube from the filter box to the throttle body

carbonedge+

I asked while I had it at the dealer Monday. The service tech said it was a muffler for the intake air flow to reduce the noise created by that air flow.

Can anybody here confirm or deny that?

I forget the exact term (silencer?) but yes, it's there to reduce noise. Not exactly a muffler but serves the same function.

• 5 months later...
I've heard of people removing it on mustangs and such, but I don't know whether it simply unbolts or has to be cut off. Check the mustang forums for more details on the procedure and end results.

I just got rid of my 2002 GT. You can usually pull the silencer off but its pointless. You will gain nothing from it. Wait and buy the cold air intake.

• 2 weeks later...
I forget the exact term (silencer?) but yes, it's there to reduce noise. Not exactly a muffler but serves the same function.

Yes it can be removed. I add aK&N filter then I turned my baffle and twisted it slightley which loosened it than it snaped out with out breaking anything!

I then added a flex hose to force some coola ir into the larger hole. The car sopunds like I have an intake sytem.

Yes it can be removed. I add aK&N filter then I turned my baffle and twisted it slightley which loosened it than it snaped out with out breaking anything!

I then added a flex hose to force some coola ir into the larger hole. The car sopunds like I have an intake sytem.

OOPs! bad typing