Remote start for 2008 ford edge

New here - thanks for having me.

I attempted doing my research and although I have found similar topics, the solutions aren't helping me...

I have a ford remote start system on my 2008 Ford Edge Ltd. The remote start fob is in addition to the key fob (I think it's called long range plug and play).

When I try to start it remotely it honks twice (once acknowledging then again when it starts - or used to start) and then nothing happens.

When I get in the car the security light is flashing. I have to press the brakes before I try to start it or it won't start.

I have read about valet mode, pressing the lock and unlock buttons together, or holding the brake pedal while pressing the remote start button 3 times.

I've tried this so many times I don't know which method actually puts me into valet mode or not. I don't even know if I'm currently in valet mode anymore.

I've read that some fords have an actual service/override button under the dash, but I can't find one so I assume it's some combination of buttons that I have to do.

If I figure out how to get into or out of valet mode what do I do after that?

I'm lost. Please help.

Thanks, Matt

See if this helps: http://www.f150forum.com/f2/remote-start-valet-mode-help-52617/

Might take a look here as well: http://www.ehow.com/how_5159008_troubleshoot-ford-remote-starter.html

Also remember reading where this happened to someone else. He had to reprogram his remotes. Believe he turned the ignition switch to on, then off, eight times, locks cycled and he hit button on his his entry remote, then turned off the key. Remote start worked afterward. Had something to do with the car not thinking it was locked or something like that. (Refused to start thinking it was vulnerable). Procedure for your car should be in you owners manual.

Edited by enigma-2

Thank you for the timely reply. I've looked at both of your attachments and they have helped, a little. I don't think my car is in valet mode. I do not get the six chirps of the horn when I try to remotely start it.

I am convinced this has to do with the SecuriLock system. I also tried your advice on cycling the key on and off six times with no success.

Still looking for advice, Sincerely, one cold Canadian.

Thank you for the timely reply. I've looked at both of your attachments and they have helped, a little. I don't think my car is in valet mode. I do not get the six chirps of the horn when I try to remotely start it.

I am convinced this has to do with the SecuriLock system. I also tried your advice on cycling the key on and off six times with no success.

Still looking for advice, Sincerely, one cold Canadian.

I agree with your thinking about it being the SecurilLock System. Starter thinks the doors are not locked and having a hissy fit over it. :rant:

Got to thinking, my 09 MKX has the following procedure used to program the remotes, could try this to see if it works:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please read and understand the entire procedure before you begin.

1. Insert the first previously programmed coded key into the ignition.

2. Turn the ignition from the 1 (off) position to the 3 (on) position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (on) position for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.

3. Turn the ignition to the 1 (off) position and remove the first coded key from the ignition.

4. Within 10 seconds of turning the ignition to the 1 (off) position, insert the second previously coded key into the ignition.

5. Turn the ignition from the 1 (off) position to the 3 (on) position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (on) position for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.

6. Turn the ignition to the 1 (off) position and remove the second previously programmed coded key from the ignition.

7. Within 20 seconds of turning the ignition to the 1 (off) position and removing the previously programmed coded key, insert the new unprogrammed key (new key/valet key) into the ignition.

8. Turn the ignition from the 1 (off) position to the 3 (on) position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (on) position for at least six seconds.

9. Remove the newly programmed coded key from the ignition. If the key has been successfully programmed it will start the vehicle’s engine and will operate the remote entry system (if the new key is an Integrated Keyhead Transmitter). The theft indicator light will illuminate for three seconds and then go out to indicate successful programming. If the key was not successfully programmed, it will not start your vehicle’s engine and/or will not operate the remote entry features. The theft indicator light may flash on and off. Wait 20 seconds and you may repeat Steps 1 through 8. If failure repeats, bring your vehicle to your authorized dealer to have the new key(s) programmed. To program additional new unprogrammed key(s), wait 20 seconds and then repeat this procedure from Step 1.

Thanks Enigma. Tried that, no luck. Both sets of keys are working fine, it really is just the remote starter that won't work.

Has to be that SecuriLock.

I don't have an engine light on but i'll try plugging in a code reader tomorrow.

Short of all that I have an appointment at ford in 10 days.

If anyone has any other ideas in the meantime please let me know. Cheers

Thanks Enigma. Tried that, no luck. Both sets of keys are working fine, it really is just the remote starter that won't work.

Has to be that SecuriLock.

I don't have an engine light on but i'll try plugging in a code reader tomorrow.

Short of all that I have an appointment at ford in 10 days.

If anyone has any other ideas in the meantime please let me know. Cheers