Hello

High Plains Drifter

I have been lurking here for a few weeks looking over some of the technical content. I have 11+ years experience in Ford related audio and electronics including Audio, Navigation, Remote starts and other 12 volt integration(O.E. and Aftermarket). I am here to help out where I can so do not hesitate to PM me or email if you need. I will cruise the forums when I can.

Devin

I have been lurking here for a few weeks looking over some of the technical content. I have 11+ years experience in Ford related audio and electronics including Audio, Navigation, Remote starts and other 12 volt integration(O.E. and Aftermarket). I am here to help out where I can so do not hesitate to PM me or email if you need. I will cruise the forums when I can.

Devin

Hi Devin,

Maybe your the person that can help me with a radio problem in my 2007 Edge. I find that after driving and using the radio for 30 minutes or so it will lose its volume. Then to get the volume back I need to click the + button on the steering wheel. At other times the volume will suddenly explode to its highest volume which is distracting and scary. I then have to turn the radio off. This can happen with the Speed Voulme either engaged or disengaged. Can happen on the Sattelite band or FM or CD. The dealer says they can't find anything wrong so can not fix it.

If you have any ideas I sure would like to Know.

Thanks,

Steve Schmitt

sschmitt@bearvalley wireless.com

You guys have the most creative issues I have yet to come across :shades: I have only seen this in Aftermarket radio installs using the O.E. steering wheels controls. I will ask a few other Techs and see what I can find out for you.

How often does the problem occur? is it consistant with hot or cold? does it happen when turning the steering wheel? if SCV is turned off you have eliminated the chance of the problem being the insturment cluster signal. I would not dismiss the volume control knob on the radio either.

Ford is pretty stringent about radio replacement, enough so that in the radio repair form there is a check box if the problem is intermittent and if the problem was verified. if the problem is intermittent I would ask the dealership to reprogram the radio and check the resistantce values for the 2 wires that come from the steering wheel control going to the back of the radio. If the problem is consistant at a approx set amount of time I would tell your dealership to figure it out, Ford does allow for warranty to cover diagnostic time. the fix should be pretty easy once it's found.

Which radio do you have?

You guys have the most creative issues I have yet to come across :shades: I have only seen this in Aftermarket radio installs using the O.E. steering wheels controls. I will ask a few other Techs and see what I can find out for you.

How often does the problem occur? is it consistant with hot or cold? does it happen when turning the steering wheel? if SCV is turned off you have eliminated the chance of the problem being the insturment cluster signal. I would not dismiss the volume control knob on the radio either.

Ford is pretty stringent about radio replacement, enough so that in the radio repair form there is a check box if the problem is intermittent and if the problem was verified. if the problem is intermittent I would ask the dealership to reprogram the radio and check the resistantce values for the 2 wires that come from the steering wheel control going to the back of the radio. If the problem is consistant at a approx set amount of time I would tell your dealership to figure it out, Ford does allow for warranty to cover diagnostic time. the fix should be pretty easy once it's found.

Which radio do you have?

Problem occurs intermittently whenever on a highway after 30-45 minutes of driving. I do not think temerature affects it as the car interior temperature is "comfortable". Happens on straight highway driving and not when turning to any significant amount. The owner's guide shows the radio is an "AUDIOPHILE AM?FM IN DASH-SIX CD/MP3 SATELLITE SOUND SYSTEM.

Thanks for your response.If you find out anything more from your other Techs please let me know.

S.P. Schmitt