New Engine In MKX

carguy

I have a question about gas mileage regarding the MKX. I am very interested in the MKX but think I may wait until the 2009 models come out next fall. Hopefully the braking distance issues mentioned in various reviews will be addressed as well as the possible addition of a new 3.7 engine.

If the new 3.7 engine is actually available in the 2009 MKX would the gas mileage be better than the current MKXs? I thought that since the MKX is a bit heavy that the larger engine may be better suited for the vehicle and provide a bit better mileage.

I have a question about gas mileage regarding the MKX. I am very interested in the MKX but think I may wait until the 2009 models come out next fall. Hopefully the braking distance issues mentioned in various reviews will be addressed as well as the possible addition of a new 3.7 engine.

If the new 3.7 engine is actually available in the 2009 MKX would the gas mileage be better than the current MKXs? I thought that since the MKX is a bit heavy that the larger engine may be better suited for the vehicle and provide a bit better mileage.

There's really no way to tell. It depends on the engine tuning, transmission and rear end gearing, etc.

I don't know if they would, this engine is in the CX-9 now and it makes little difference, I had one as a rental, (Still have it, long term), it's a nice engine, but the difference in power is not huge, and the tranny in the CX-9 is an Aisin unit, probably the same tranny that will be in the new MKS with the 3.7.

If they do a mid cycle refresh I wouldn't doubt them putting in a bigger engine to draw new people in.

I don't know if they would, this engine is in the CX-9 now and it makes little difference, I had one as a rental, (Still have it, long term), it's a nice engine, but the difference in power is not huge, and the tranny in the CX-9 is an Aisin unit, probably the same tranny that will be in the new MKS with the 3.7.

If they do a mid cycle refresh I wouldn't doubt them putting in a bigger engine to draw new people in.

That's what I thought too. The engine wouldn't be large enough to make a real difference. I guess the weight of the MKX probably has more of a factor in the mileage numbers. Be nice if it did a little better though. As of now this is the only new vehicle out there that I really like.

There's no reason for Ford to switch back to the Aisin unit. They're already using the new joint venture 6F in the Edge/MKX while the MKZ still uses the Aisin unit. The 6F should be used at least for the base 3.7L or at least until the Getrag powershifts arrive.