Engine Break-in??

triplem44

Hello Everyone,

I'm getting my new Edge in a few weeks (very excited by the way, haven't had a new car in over six years). One of the main reasons I decided on the edge was the engine - I love it - and I can't wait to really step on it. However, I don't know if I should do that with a brand new engine (I'm not really a car guy unfortunately) - should I drive casually for a while and break it in? Will I do any damage by starting off driving hard? Any advice is much appreciated.

-Matt

I tried to take it easy the first 500 miles, very hard btw. Changed the oil after 1,000 miles, and all is well. You'll have much fun "puttin' the pedal to the metal" (or at least to the carpeted floor mats; unless you get the weather tech's or something...) ENJOY! And Welcome.

Edited by carbonedge+

Hello Everyone,

I'm getting my new Edge in a few weeks (very excited by the way, haven't had a new car in over six years). One of the main reasons I decided on the edge was the engine - I love it - and I can't wait to really step on it. However, I don't know if I should do that with a brand new engine (I'm not really a car guy unfortunately) - should I drive casually for a while and break it in? Will I do any damage by starting off driving hard? Any advice is much appreciated.

-Matt

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?sho...hl=owner+manual

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/cont...0/08edgog1e.pdf

see the above

Ok, let me rephrase that. You can download the owner's manuals now - even if you don't own one.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owne...als/default.asp

And yes, I am very acerbic to people who ask questions because they're too lazy or too ignorant to RTFM. However, in this case I overlooked the part about the OP not owning one yet so for that I apologize.

Wow. Are you just waiting for someone to make a mistake and then jump on them?? All that was needed was the friendly first post from carbonedge+ that there was another thread on this topic - that's it. Still looking forward to my Edge but not posting anything about it here.

I already apologized because I misread your original post and didn't realize that you didn't have the vehicle yet.

I will also apologize for being a little too caustic. Just one of those days I guess.

I will not apologize for telling people to RTFM when they ask a question that is easily answered by reading their owner's manual. To me it's analogous to having a dictionary on your desk and then asking someone else how to spell a word.

Hello Everyone,

-Matt

Welcome Matt - you are correct to be concerned about going WOT (wide open throttle) with a new engine. Any debris or rough surface conditions can cause problems down the road. A new engine like ours needs the rings to seat and the all load gear faces to wear in with a broad pattern (to help prevent gear whine).

Vary your speed for the first 2,000 miles. (Don't set the speed control and go 200+ miles). A mixture of city and highway would be best.

Leave the factory fill oil in for at least 3,000 miles to be safe. This will help the rings seat and prevent glazing of the cylinder walls. Don't load the engine by towing or doing racing starts for 1,000 miles to be safe. It will be tempting because the 6 speed tranny has a wicked low gear.

Try to avoid panic stops. New rotors don't like to overheat, especially when you sit with the brake pads locked against them - the uncovered sufraces cool down at a much faster rate than the surface under the pads which can cause warping.

I hope this helps your understanding of what the experts would do. Lord knows there are pleanty of snake oil salesmen and shade tree mechanics that can recommend anything under the sun. Chances are you wouldn't have problems no mater what you did, but why risk it on a coin flip. Glaze the cylinder walls and use oil. Warp the rotors and pulse every stop. Break-in gears at a constant load and listen to them whine.

I know what I will do.