Sirius Satellite Fault

My Sirius was installed by the dealer before delivery (could not find one equipped with it so the added it for me @ no charge). Recently, I've been getting a Sat Fault error on a cold start of the car. Sometimes the Sat kicks in after a minute but lately it has been taking between 5 & 15 minutes to kick in.

Is this a common issue with Sat Radios or should I have them service it.

One thing to note, when they installed the antenae, they put it next to the radio antenae in the front of the car. When it is factory installed, it is on the rear wing.

I didnt realize that until after it was installed.

Could this be part of the issue?

My Sirius was installed by the dealer before delivery (could not find one equipped with it so the added it for me @ no charge). Recently, I've been getting a Sat Fault error on a cold start of the car. Sometimes the Sat kicks in after a minute but lately it has been taking between 5 & 15 minutes to kick in.

One thing to note, when they installed the antenae, they put it next to the radio antenae in the front of the car. When it is factory installed, it is on the rear wing.

My 07 Expedition has factory Sirius and all my other cars have aftermarket docking stations for an Audiovox receiver and none of them have that kind of problem. You need to take it back and have them fix it.

mine came equipped with it, but no such faults like that...

I would take it back to Ford and have them take a look...

:)

Thanks... I went to my dealer at lunchtime yesterday and made an appointment. I was hoping they could look at it then since it was happening but they made me an appointment for next week. I have to leave the car overnight since it started happening when the car is cold.

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks... I went to my dealer at lunchtime yesterday and made an appointment. I was hoping they could look at it then since it was happening but they made me an appointment for next week. I have to leave the car overnight since it started happening when the car is cold.

Thanks for the advice!

I honestly don't think it is the installation, but I am curious to hear the results of the dealers findings.

Satellite is very fickle despite it's progressive technology. Climate change, elevation, cloud cover, time of day, and car location can all affect transmission pickup.

I have XM in my car now, and I kid you not, I notice issues when it's foggy outside, or early in the morning when it's cold. At certain times of the day, as the earth rotates especially with the recent time changes, your overall 'angle of sight-line' to the satelite overhead changes. My reception is always better in summer months, or in the middle of the day.

Despite what Sirius and XM say regarding weather conditions should have no affect, I say phooey. Everybody I know who has either XM or Sirius say that weather does indeed affect signal, the biggest culprit is fog or marine layers.

But i do recall recently hearing about Sirius haveing some broadcasting issues a few weeks back during a mainetance/upgrade window. I assume it may have been fixed by now.

My Sirius works fine - but the attenna is mounted on the front of the roof above the windshield - but my Edge is a 2007.. they may have moved it for 2008.

I occasionally get no signal in tunnels or underground parking.

On a occasion it cuts in certain road spots...as if there was a blocker somewhere nearby.

For the most part, it runs great.

My 2007 Edge came from the factory with the satellite antenna mounted on the rear wind deflector. The only time I've heard of it being mounted elsewhere is when the installation occurs outside of the factory.

I've briefly had signal problems when under a thick canopy of trees, or in a parking garage or tunnel. Sirius has a lot of signal repeaters spread around, so signal loss is minimal.

I could never go back to terrestrial radio after 2 years with Sirius. It's in all my cars, as well as the house, and through my computer at work. You come to realize how much terrestrial radio really sucks.

Ditto this. Rear deflector; very, very few signal problems. In my garage, tunnels, etc.

I had a Sirius in my last car (3 years) and have never returned to terrestrial radio. I listen to Sirius on my computer at work and at home.

I burn a disc or two and will, at times, listen to CDs in the Edge, but most of the time it is the radio.

Forget XM...forget terrestrial...

The issue that I'm having is not a signal loss. That has happened in the past in heavy tree cover or under overpasses. This issue states "Sat Fault" on the display.

It really seems to be when the car is cold. This morning it took 10 minutes to kick in. I stopped for a few minutes and when I got back in the car it worked fine.

When I went to lunch and when I left work for home, it faulted again.

Since my commute is only 10-15 minutes, it defeats the purpose of having Sirius.

Hopefully the dealer can fix it.

The issue that I'm having is not a signal loss. That has happened in the past in heavy tree cover or under overpasses. This issue states "Sat Fault" on the display.

It really seems to be when the car is cold. This morning it took 10 minutes to kick in. I stopped for a few minutes and when I got back in the car it worked fine.

When I went to lunch and when I left work for home, it faulted again.

Since my commute is only 10-15 minutes, it defeats the purpose of having Sirius.

Hopefully the dealer can fix it.

Ellie,

So what was the outcome of the dealership repair?

I dropped my car off at the dealer yesterday and they witnessed the fault issue.

They took the unit apart and said that they needed to order a new satellite module.

They will call me when it comes in and reinstall it.

The funny thing is since they played around with it, it hasnt faulted once.

Although I now seem to have more signal drops and garbled sound.

Hopefully the new module will fix it.