what do i need to get XM radio?

I have a 2007 Edge SEL+. NAvigation system and CD player. what do i need to get XM ?

can i use the OEM radio and just have a receiver installed? i do not want any kind of display attached to my dash board. i am hoping i can have the receiver hidden somewhere and use my OEM unit display for thr XM.

let me know

I have a 2007 Edge SEL+. NAvigation system and CD player. what do i need to get XM ?

can i use the OEM radio and just have a receiver installed? i do not want any kind of display attached to my dash board. i am hoping i can have the receiver hidden somewhere and use my OEM unit display for thr XM.

let me know

I have been researching this because I am interested in the MKX. I was told that the Terk XM direct adapter might work. I just called Audiovox, the makers of Terk and they said that it will not work on any Ford/Lincoln vehicle after 2006. They said that Ford changed the wiring harness and that Audiovox did not update the XM direct adapter. In fact, he said that they are getting away from any OEM radio integration. I guess we are stuck with Sirius for now.

By the way, as you know, XM is better than Sirius, much better regardless of what the other poster said. However, hopefully the upcoming merger will produce a universal tuner.

Edited by carguy

let me know

Sorry right now I think the only way is to have an external display like you don't want. I had XM in my vehicle before the edge and had prepaid for a year so I had to get an external display receiver for XM to work in my 07 SE I plugged it into the AUX port in the center console.

Yes after the Merge I would think there will be a dual tuner option but for now theres not.

Your ignorance is clearly outweighed by your stupidity. Sirius is light years better than XM. You are obviously too biased to understand why, so I won't go into details at this point. Why do you think Sirius is buying XM??? Why has Sirius gone from 300,000 subscribers 2 years ago to over 8,000,000 subscribers today??

So, if i go with Sirius it is just plug and play. no external display. it will all be through the OEM unit, correct?

which Sirius receiver should i install?

BTW, i have never had either, XM or Sirius. if the merger ever takes place, which i really doubt, i will be happy with any thing better than the obsolete, boring low quality regular radio. regular radio is just aweful.

Your ignorance is clearly outweighed by your stupidity. Sirius is light years better than XM. You are obviously too biased to understand why, so I won't go into details at this point. Why do you think Sirius is buying XM??? Why has Sirius gone from 300,000 subscribers 2 years ago to over 8,000,000 subscribers today??

I don't care if Sirius has 80,000,000 subscribers the reason I like XM better is because of the content. Content that is not available on Sirius. Neither company has made one cent since they have been in business. XM is also better in reception. Sirius has a problem with drop-outs. Not that XM doesn't at times but Sirius is far worse.

Sounds to me that you'd be happier buying one of those Lexus p.o.s. things. Then, you can have your XM and eat it, too!

No, not interested in Lexus at all. Never was on the list. I am with you on not going back to FM. Once I had satellite radio that was it. Heck, I would rather go with Sirius than go back to FM.

Edited by carguy

So, if i go with Sirius it is just plug and play. no external display. it will all be through the OEM unit, correct?

which Sirius receiver should i install?

BTW, i have never had either, XM or Sirius. if the merger ever takes place, which i really doubt, i will be happy with any thing better than the obsolete, boring low quality regular radio. regular radio is just aweful.

First thing you need to do is check with the dealer to see if whatever you have installed will display on the screen.

If not, then you will have have a XM / Sirius tuner (behind the dash) installed wtih some kind of display somewhere in your car.

I had to do this with my last car and I had them install the external display in my sunglass holder.

I have the Sirius that came with the Edge, and where I do like the "clean, stealth" look, I wish I still had my aftermarket display. There are extra functions that I really miss (saving your favorite song, etc).

There is really no reason that the merger won't go through - all the major players are for it.

I'm in the same boat here. I don't want to get into the Sirius vs XM, there are simply some XM channels that I like. I'm not really interested in anything that modifies the vehicle (it's a lease). I was hoping to find a XM radio/player that I could just plug into the AUX port. It won't be "pretty" but it should work. Have not found a whole lot of XM radio's that work this way. Any suggestions?

For future buyers:

Ford Motor Company and SIRIUS Extend Relationship

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007/11/27/071916.html

For current owners and future buyers:

Enables Satellite-Ready radios and aftermarket head-units to receive XM Satellite Radio

Direct connection for true digital sound - the best sound quality in satellite radio

Hide-away tuner box integrates seamlessly with your car stereo - makes behind-dash installation possible

Use your existing car stereo controls and display to select XM channels

Control and display XM channels on your factory-installed satellite-ready car stereo

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...amp;q=XM+Direct

For future buyers:

Ford Motor Company and SIRIUS Extend Relationship

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007/11/27/071916.html

For current owners and future buyers:

Enables Satellite-Ready radios and aftermarket head-units to receive XM Satellite Radio

Direct connection for true digital sound - the best sound quality in satellite radio

Hide-away tuner box integrates seamlessly with your car stereo - makes behind-dash installation possible

Use your existing car stereo controls and display to select XM channels

Control and display XM channels on your factory-installed satellite-ready car stereo

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...amp;q=XM+Direct

The XM Direct tuner reference in the above Google search will not work with any Ford or Lincoln vehicle manufactured after 2006. I spoke with Audiovox today and they said they will not update the Terk XM Direct tuners. They said that they are getting away from OEM integration and concentrating on aftermarket head units and standalone XM receivers. They said that the wiring harness was changed by Ford in 2007. They also said that their tuner would not work with Ford navigation head units.

The only choices to get XM are to get the new vehicle with the standard radio and install an aftermarket navigation and XM tuner such as the Pioneer product line or go with a dash mounted XM receiver. If the merger happens, which I think it will, then maybe Sirius/XM will offer an ala-carte selection of channels from both services that can be received on the Ford provided Sirius tuner.

07MKX, thanks again for the links but the Terk XM Direct WILL NOT WORK!!! Actually I was disappointed when they told me it wouldn't.

CreamEdge, I agree with you 100%. Not only is the content better with XM but so is the reception.

• 4 weeks later...
First thing you need to do is check with the dealer to see if whatever you have installed will display on the screen.

If not, then you will have have a XM / Sirius tuner (behind the dash) installed wtih some kind of display somewhere in your car.

I had to do this with my last car and I had them install the external display in my sunglass holder.

I have the Sirius that came with the Edge, and where I do like the "clean, stealth" look, I wish I still had my aftermarket display. There are extra functions that I really miss (saving your favorite song, etc).

There is really no reason that the merger won't go through - all the major players are for it.

Just for the record, the Sirius option built into the EDGE does let you save your favorite song. Check the manual.