2011 Ford Edge Limited Fuel Injector issue and says need tranny flush at 40,000??

jolenek2

Recently we had issues every once in a while where our edge didn't want to start, always had us worried since it is the push start, not like you can hold it down to "crank", but eventually it would start. Then yesterday the check engine light came on. Checked code ourselves and got bad #5. Took it to the dealer and they said the same thing and will replace since under warranty. We are at 40,000 miles. But now they are trying to tell us we need to get our tranny flushed and suggested fuel injectors cleaned as well. Manual says tranny doesn't need done until 150,000 miles and should we need injectors cleaned at 40,000? We do not tow and live in the midwest. Thanks.

Is the battery original to the car? Consider having it replaced. 2-3 years is max useful life OEM. The no-start issue may return without it.

Good thing the warranty still applies :thumbsup:

Having fuel injectors cleaned as in a BG cleaning service is a good idea every couple of years. But if you run Fuel Injector cleaner (such as Techron or BG etc.) in the gas tank yearly (not too late now), you can avoid the cleaning service for a loooong time. Advise doing so within 500 miles or so of the next oil/filter change.

No transmission flush is needed IF you drain & fill the trans 3 times (5 qts each time, so basically complete replacement) more frequently. So around 50,000 miles or 3 years, do the drain & fill. This will greatly extend the useful life of the transmission. Have the cooling system & brake system flushed tho at same interval at minimum.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Sorry should have mentioned that we got oil changed last week and had them check the battery thinking the same thing, they said battery is fine. I'm thinking the start issue is tied to the bad injector and hopefully will go away when it is replaced - and yes glad it's under warranty!

Do you have any feedback on them wanting to do the fuel injector cleaning? They claim they are suggesting it since the one went bad thinking it's due to build up, but seems like a ploy for extra money?

And sorry, guess I'm not sure what the difference is between a flush and a drain/fill? Is that still something we'd have the dealer do? Ask them to consider doing that instead of the flush since we are at 3 1/2 years and 40,000? or wait until 50,000?

Thanks.

Usually, fuel injector cleaning service is around $130 if you want to get it done. What did they quote you & what do they do exactly (link?)? If you are not experiencing any driveability problems otherwise, I'd try running a fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank first. The next time you fill up, pour in the cleaner first, then put in the gas. Observe if there is any difference in gas mileage/throttle response after you use up that tank of gas. You'd be surprised how much this simple process helps.

Troubleshoot & Clean Dirty Fuel Injectors

A flush force-cleans the transmission system, and as a result any/all accumulated debris/metal shavings are forced loose and circulate out of the system. That's the theory anyway. Why take the chance something gets stuck somewhere & leads to major problems? Instead, do the worry free drain & fill method regularly. Any competent shop can do it, don't have to have the dealer do it. You can do it yourself if you are comfortable putting the front end up on jacks/ramps.

How a Flush Works & Why It is Done

It's your call when you want to do the d&f, but it wouldn't hurt, certainly, to do it now since you are past the 3 year mark.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Some ways to prevent injector issues "I believe" is to use good gas. I use Shell and Top Tier gas almost always. I have also on about 6 occasions used fuel injector cleaners over the couter types. I also drive hundreds of miles a day on interstates and that alone allows for consistant high temps and is 100 percent better for an engine than driving three miles and shutting it off then three miles and shutting it off. I still get up to 400 miles a tank if I go to the E, but generally run 350 to 380 before refueling. Of course results will vary for how you use your Ford Edge. For me it works.

• Like 1