Govenor/Limiters on a leased Edge???

alwaysonedge

I am not sure where this topic belongs-

I just got back from a trip from Plano TX to Wichita Falls TX, about 300 miles round trip.

I averaged 23 MPH on the way there yesterday. I had tried to get up to speed earlier this week to see what my fairly new Edge would do, but could only to 95MPH or so.

Today I drove back on on R287, I opened it up again outside Bowie. I pegged at a little over 95 MPH on the speedomenter- and that was it with the pedal to the floor!

A couple of you have indicated that they exceeded that (110MPH??). Other than this, the Edge is normal (to me) through the power band.

A couple of people here, wondered if the leasing company may have reprogrammed the ECU, so

I talked to a couple of people in my company leasing program, and they are unaware of any reprogramming. I drive a company car leased from a third party national leasing firm, not FOMOCO.

I am, of course, NOT going to advertise to anyone my propensity for fast travel, but when you travel vast Texas, you do! Therefore, I didn't really press it.

And I am not going to my service department and complain that I can't do over 95 MPH!!!

No biggie, but does anyone know if the leasing companies do this?

Something appears to have been messed with in the computer. Living in Iowa I have multiple times have exceeded triple digits. 95 mph is just past 3rd to 4th shift.

If your really worried about it, you can always try and get an aftermarket programmer. Otherwise make friends with your mechanic and they will check/change it for nothing.

I am not sure where this topic belongs-

I just got back from a trip from Plano TX to Wichita Falls TX, about 300 miles round trip.

I averaged 23 MPH on the way there yesterday. I had tried to get up to speed earlier this week to see what my fairly new Edge would do, but could only to 95MPH or so.

Today I drove back on on R287, I opened it up again outside Bowie. I pegged at a little over 95 MPH on the speedomenter- and that was it with the pedal to the floor!

A couple of you have indicated that they exceeded that (110MPH??). Other than this, the Edge is normal (to me) through the power band.

A couple of people here, wondered if the leasing company may have reprogrammed the ECU, so

I talked to a couple of people in my company leasing program, and they are unaware of any reprogramming. I drive a company car leased from a third party national leasing firm, not FOMOCO.

I am, of course, NOT going to advertise to anyone my propensity for fast travel, but when you travel vast Texas, you do! Therefore, I didn't really press it.

And I am not going to my service department and complain that I can't do over 95 MPH!!!

No biggie, but does anyone know if the leasing companies do this?

Hi alwaysonedge. :D If your Leasing Company put a speed limiter on your Edge, it would be something they did as part of their own company policy, as opposed to an "every leasing company does it" sort of thing.

You can always go to your Dealer Service Department and ask them to check the PCM programming. However, you may want to re-read your Leasing contract and paperwork first, to be sure there are not any fine print rules concerning re-programming they may have done.

Also, if your PCM was re-programmed, you may have to pay to have it changed back. It may not be considered warranty work. I do not know for sure, just giving you some prior warning.

Good luck! :beerchug:

I read with interest the post from alwaysonedge regarding a limiter or govenor on their Edge by their lease company because they cannot seem to exceed 95 MPH.. Why you want to go faster than that is a mystery, here in Chicagoland, I can’t seem to exceed 30 MPH on the toll road almost anytime!

I too lease my Edge, but from a corporate third party, and I was curious about this, because I have exceeded 95MPH (up to 110 MPH before I chickened out. Then I read the post possibly speculating about how data on an owner is driving is stored on the car’s ECU or the data recording feature of the black box.

I have friend who is in the fleet leasing business and I asked them if it was possible that anyone in the business would modify a vehicle's computer or place some type of governor to restrict it's speed. They told me it was a violation of Federal law (vehicle emissions) for a firm to tamper with or modify an ECU's data recorder for any reason other than testing. He says the legal implications for a company or business is very high because it may be considered tampering, but we are not sure what this means to an individual because an owner can change settings with one of the scanning tools.

I did some 'Googling' and found this interesting site regarding the data recorder and it's legal uses-

http://www.harristechnical.com/cdr.htm

Also, the Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX are on the list of data recorders-

http://www.harristechnical.com/downloads/cdrlist.pdf

There is also a long list of other interesting information about the data recorder.

Alwaysonedge-

My friend who is a service manager in the fleet business, suspects that the ECU on your Edge may be faulty and he suggested you contact your Fleet Manager about any TSBs or bring the Edge in for diagnostics. Good Luck!

Alwaysonedge-

My friend who is a service manager in the fleet business, suspects that the ECU on your Edge may be faulty and he suggested you contact your Fleet Manager about any TSBs or bring the Edge in for diagnostics. Good Luck!

Thanks, I plan on taking the Edge in for 7500M service this week and I suspect the computer, because other issues have cropped up. Mileage has dropped according to the trip computer, and it feels like the trans is slipping a gear. I read other owners are having some problems with this.

Jeeze, just when I was enjoying the car, I worry about being marooned on the Prairie in a cellphone hole!

There is a lot to read here on the car data stuff. One of my girlfriends is a lawyer who just yesterday mentioned she started a case about a crash and they needed to subpoena the insurance company and wrecking yard involved because they want to get data from the time of the crash.

This is so cool, I didn't know that this stuff was on the cars computer! I need to slow down!

Hi-

Uncle Ray showed up today with a car scanner and plugged it in. He got these error messages codes and we looked them up. Here is what I got:

P1501 Programmable Speedometer & Odometer Module/Vehicle Speed Sensor Intermittent circuit-failure

P1502 Invalid or Missing Vehicle Speed Message or Brake Data

P1460 Wide Open Throttle Air Conditioning Cutoff circuit malfunction

P1740 Transmission system problems

The P1502 and P1740 disappeared when he said he reset the computer, but the others are still there.

I am taking the Edge in Monday morning.

Thanks to all who helped off-forum.

Gloria

• 2 weeks later...

I dropped off my Edge last Friday at the Fleet Service Center because of the OBD codes we pulled last week or so.

This morning I get a call from the Fleet Manager rep asking me to pick out a new vehicle and pick it up this week.

I asked what was wrong with the Edge and that I preferred getting the Edge back.

She offered that the Edge was being returned to Ford and a comparable Edge or similar vehicle is available as a replacement. She said that was the only information she had and that the company (Union) had no other information to give me.

I have a listing of 18 cars on the list, 5 CUVs and 13 sedans. The Edge is the only Ford CUV, and Fusion, Taurus, and Sable are the Fords.

As a marketing rep, I put on 20K+ miles traveling throughout Texas and haul clients and stuff so I need a larger, more comfortable car for the long haul. My last company car was a 2006 Avalon, nice but I needed more space and the Edge filled the bill.

I am going to consider some alternatives, including the Edge, Pilot, Outlook, and a couple of other sedans.

Gloria

I dropped off my Edge last Friday at the Fleet Service Center because of the OBD codes we pulled last week or so.

This morning I get a call from the Fleet Manager rep asking me to pick out a new vehicle and pick it up this week.

I asked what was wrong with the Edge and that I preferred getting the Edge back.

She offered that the Edge was being returned to Ford and a comparable Edge or similar vehicle is available as a replacement. She said that was the only information she had and that the company (Union) had no other information to give me.

I have a listing of 18 cars on the list, 5 CUVs and 13 sedans. The Edge is the only Ford CUV, and Fusion, Taurus, and Sable are the Fords.

As a marketing rep, I put on 20K+ miles traveling throughout Texas and haul clients and stuff so I need a larger, more comfortable car for the long haul. My last company car was a 2006 Avalon, nice but I needed more space and the Edge filled the bill.

I am going to consider some alternatives, including the Edge, Pilot, Outlook, and a couple of other sedans.

Gloria

After a week of hassling with the fleet lease manager, I have my ORIGINAL EDGE back form the service dealer.

Picked it up last Friday. Either the fleet or dealer services replaced the ECU and whatever the computer device that also controls the transmission. There are no leaks, because this is FWD.

I had a choice on another vehicle. but because I was accustomed to the Edge, I sorta sweet talked the service manager at the leasing company to just fix it and give it back to me.

It rides a lot better than before. The shifts are smoother. I guess I was used to the shifts as normal after 7K miles on it, so I didn't realize there was a problem. I noticed that pickup is better also and the revs come on stronger too.

I am leaving for Corpus Christi this afternoon and plan on OPENING IT UP and seeing if I can get over the 95MPH barrier!