Excessive engine braking?

MPW

Hello,
First of all, I hope this would be the right sub-forum. I didn't know whether to post it here or in 3.5L

New owner of a 2012 Limited AWD.

When decelerating, it seems like it is actually braking. At first I thought it was something to do with the collision avoidance system or something, but my brake lights aren't coming on. And I've tried it with all of the BLIS system turned off. Same results.

Let's say that I'm traveling down a 55mph road and I can sense that a stop-n-go light is going to change from green to red. Being a closet hyper-miler, I will kick off the cruise way before the light even changes so I can just coast and hopefully not have to brake hard. The thing is, coming out of a Pontiac Bonneville that would coast for hundreds of yards even while in gear, the Edge seems to REALLY decelerate quickly as soon as you've removed your foot from the throttle. I'm not talking throw you through the windshield or anything, but I end up having to get back on the throttle just to make it to the stop-light.

So, of course being paranoid, I checked to make sure that it freewheels OK while it's not in gear to eliminate the possibility of a hung brake caliper. There's a road by my house that has just enough slope to it that if you let off the brake, while in neutral, you will very, very slowly start rolling. The Edge rolls fine on this hill.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

I remembered when I bought my 2013 Edge new and test drove it. I was coming out of a 2003 F150 that I drove for over 10 years. The first thing I noticed on the test drive was the "drag" when I was slowing down and wasn't touching the brake at all.

It was so noticeable that I even pulled over and checked the parking brake just to make sure that wasn't partially engaged! The salesman said it was because of the car having 20" tires and that they caused the rolling resistance. :headscratch:

I did some checking around before committing to an Edge because of that drag, and found it to be normal, and for the reasons stated in previous posts. I purchased that Edge I test drove and after a few months got used to the way it drove.

I now have 40000 miles on that car and don't even notice it.

• Like 1

Nothing to add - just wanted to say thank you for spelling "braking" correctly........

Lol, best thing I've read today!

Thank the government and CAFE for that one.

I don't have anything to thank them for. Bunch of "Chicken Little" biscuit lickers!

How's the response when you get on it after a period of "no-touch" on the throttle? Any noticeable lag?

No lag that I've noticed.

This whole "let's save the planet" thing should be something that can be disabled by competent drivers. For years, I've been conscious of my surroundings and the activity taking place in front of my vehicle. For example, on approach to my house, from 55mph (I live on a country road), there is enough of a slope in the road that I used to be able to coast my Pontiac Bonneville, while in gear for about a half mile, and still be at 30 mph by the time I had to brake for my driveway. With the Edge, I have to maintain power all the way until about 500 feet from the house. Now Cafe, CARB, or whoever the heck you are...tell me how that's more efficient? <\Rant>

My old ford focus even did the same thing. I actually tuned it to do this more aggressively. However on the focus the cut in for this mode was around 30km/h or so i upped it to 80km/h. The only difference i saw was better gas mileage and no loss of performance or driveability.

• Like 1