Sticky door? Any advice

Lisa Lamb

So, my 2015 SEL is a week old, I love it, BUT the rear driver door is sticky. You really have to slam it to make sure it shuts properly (kids do not do this, of course, so I end up having to check on them each time, boring). I took it to the local dealer which is not where I bought it, and they lubricated it and told me they were loathe to do anything more right now in case it interfered with the air seal etc. and it should just sort itself out. When I got it back it seemed actually WORSE than when I dropped it. My husband said they were talking BS and I should drive it to the dealer who sold it to us and make them fix it (they are more reputable though an hour away).

Do you guys know if this might resolve itself bc it is new and might 'wear in' or should I take it back and insist they fix it, and any air seal/ whistling noise will also be their problem. I have not had a brand new car before so unsure of what I can demand under the guarantee.

Thanks!

It is known that the '15 Edge takes a little force to ensure the door closes correctly. This is due to the air seals.....they sealed this car up nice. It isn't uncommon for me to have to pull my drivers door closed a few times. Eventually you'll just be used to the extra push/force required and possibly it gets easier as time goes on.

One way to check to see if it is the air seal, crack the two front windows. Then try closing the rear. If it closes without this issue, then there you have it.

I have a feeling in the future we will see some work arounds from people who don't like how the doors close on this vehicle. But we need more of these in the hands of owners first.

Another thing you can do is go to the dealer and try out the door on another new 2015 Edge. See if it works the same.

Edited by WingNut

As for the warranty, this is they type of thing it'll cover. And it is always good to go on record saying there is an issue.

The things it doesn't cover is brakes wearing out (due to regular driving and not a defect), tires going flat, oil changes, light bulbs (unless it is very soon after the car is purchased), etc.