PTU failure on EDGE/MKX, fixed for 2015?

dshamer

Thank you for the info, I understand that EDGE/MKX owners in the midle east have a replcement PTU with a drain and a 100,000 mile 10 yr warranty? If, so, I don't understand why folks in the US can't buy the same unit. I know that you don't have the answer to this question, but just throwing that question out there for Ford. I'm certain they lurk.

I fully understand that parts fail along with design. Ford did right by purchasers in the middle east.

It's time they man up and do the same for us US buyers of their product.

We are already starting to see temperatures of 50 degree Celsius (122 Fahrenheit), still July & August are hotter. Also, I believe one of the reasons is that customers here (culture in general) don't really get the concept of on-road crossovers. If it has AWD/4WD, they WILL drive it on the sand dunes, even in the summer. If Ford tells customers that the Edge is NOT for off-roading, they'd probably lose 90% of their customers.

On road AWD crossovers in the US are mostly for cold weather climates. AWD is sure footed and makes it much safer for travel during inclement weather. I live in a rural area where you could not get to my home without AWD or four wheel drive during certain times of snowy winter weather. AWD and four wheel drive is a must for me.I own an AWD MKX and a fourwheel drive Toyota truck.

Toyota Tacoma is built like a tank. 250,000 miles and not one major issue. Lincoln MKX 15,000 miles and PTU has already begun to leak. I like the MKX, rides nice, very quiet, handles well...beautiful vehicle! The PTU issue and how Ford has handled the problem just pisses me off to no end.

• 2 months later...

Has the famous well know PTU failure leakage etc. been solved for the 2015 model year, or is it the same faulty design?

I assume the answer is yes.

My 2011 PTU has the newer white plastic seal on the PTU shaft opening and it looks dry as a bone.

However, i bought my 2011 Ford Edge AWD used with 22k miles, so the white seal could be from a repair done before I bought it.

We are already starting to see temperatures of 50 degree Celsius (122 Fahrenheit), still July & August are hotter. Also, I believe one of the reasons is that customers here (culture in general) don't really get the concept of on-road crossovers. If it has AWD/4WD, they WILL drive it on the sand dunes, even in the summer. If Ford tells customers that the Edge is NOT for off-roading, they'd probably lose 90% of their customers.

Most AWD cars/crossovers are not designed to be used off-road.

AWD drive vehicles usually lack a true transfer-case or locking differentials, which prevent them from spinning the tires in loose sand or rocks and to make matters worst the PTU or equivalent type of power distribution unit does not provide low-gearing like a real 4WD transfer-case to power up steep inclines.

My wife old Nissan Murano had a manual AWD lock function that disengaged after 15 mph and were known to damage the PTU(forgot what Nissan called it) if used too much due to over-heating and stress.

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/66-problems/7413-transfer-case-poll.html

Therefore, AWD drive vehicles are mostly used to get through snow on roads and maybe some light dirt road paths that can be driven with low ground clearance.

Edited by carguy75