brake calipers

How long will the paint last on them?

we will find out soon.

I am not to thrilled about tearing the calipers down to do the powder coating for her. but hey I do try to keep her happy :happy feet:

if i get a month out of them i may not do the powder and just repaint em as needed.

Edited by grandmomx2

we will find out soon.

I am not to thrilled about tearing the calipers down to do the powder coating for her. but hey I do try to keep her happy :happy feet:

if i get a month out of them i may not do the powder and just repaint em as needed.

That paint job (if the prep was done right) should last for years.

I like this idea and considered doing the exact same on my ordered car.

curious, did you just tape up and paint them while on the car, or pull them off, paint, and go thru bleeding the brakes and what not to put them back on? I would think, for these mock up purposes you just did it while on the car and then wonder if you could get paint application all the way around the caliper and if not, that would just leave an avenue for the paint to not adhere over time with original exposed metal on the back side (hard side to reach if done on the car).

let me know..

I like this idea and considered doing the exact same on my ordered car.

curious, did you just tape up and paint them while on the car, or pull them off, paint, and go thru bleeding the brakes and what not to put them back on? I would think, for these mock up purposes you just did it while on the car and then wonder if you could get paint application all the way around the caliper and if not, that would just leave an avenue for the paint to not adhere over time with original exposed metal on the back side (hard side to reach if done on the car).

let me know..

i just cleaned em up real good and taped off the back sides. this was purely for mock up .

If i repaint them for her i will take em off and bead blast and prime and paint, which may actually be better or easier than powdercoating them.

she is thrilled with the color, i may just order the exact paint color match and paint them, which wil make touch up easier if something or someone dings em rotating the tires.

bleeding is not a biggie for me, i have the right tools, but its still a PITA to do,

a side not i did find a powdercoat additive that makes the powder glow in the dark.... i might test a peice and see the effects behind the wheels, you know how it is keeping the one you love happy :happy feet:

one other intersting note.

when i jacked up the car using the prescribed points, the frame is incredibly stiff, as i jacked up each side the oppisite side lifted up as well.

Edited by grandmomx2

just curious... how much are 4 powder coated new calipers versus mocking up painting effort, then do it all again and cost of paint and time and materials to self do? I wonder, in a case like this, buying 4 new colored calipers and slapping them on in the end would be more cost effective? Do not know the cost of nice painted calipers.. so maybe not. but in the end, time, effort, cost in a project with 4 wheels off the ground and bleeding the system and blah blah blah might be easier to just buy?

just curious... how much are 4 powder coated new calipers versus mocking up painting effort, then do it all again and cost of paint and time and materials to self do? I wonder, in a case like this, buying 4 new colored calipers and slapping them on in the end would be more cost effective? Do not know the cost of nice painted calipers.. so maybe not. but in the end, time, effort, cost in a project with 4 wheels off the ground and bleeding the system and blah blah blah might be easier to just buy?

since its my project i will give myself a break on labor

teardown, cleaning and prep 2 hrs @ 32 hr =64

powder coating 30 minutes = 16

curing 30 min (20-30) =16

re-install & bleed 2hrs =64

total 160 in labor

30 in suplies

12-16 electricity

still 200 -22o- total depending on how efficient i am that day .

i priced new claipers anywhere frm 30-55 each uncoated. getting them pded ranged from 150-250 , this does not included me re-installing them.

since its for my wife, Priceless :shades:

mocking up actually only took a few hours, with heat lamps, plus i spent some time deep cleaning the wheels, busting some rust off the rotor to wheel contact area. painting and corrosion removal and prevention was my life for some 30 years. i see it as therapy in my retired portion of my life :hyper:

Edited by grandmomx2

• 6 months later...