Towing / Luggage Rack questions

Mine will stay on for the entire fishing season. Apr.-Nov. so if I can reduce the wind noise it will be worth the extra bucks. It will be interesting to see how much this system will cost, and how long it will take to be available through a Amazon vendor.

I believe it was under $300 for me.

As for wind noise, if you get the round bars....you will have noise. So you can wrap a bungee cord like I did or get one of these wind fairings:

yakima-mini-cooper-roof-rack-lrg.jpg

• Like 1

I checked in with a local dealer and he told me Yakima is changing over to this new Streamline / Baseline System. He said that he was told to discount the "Q" system stuff @ a discount just to move it out. He said that Yakima did not offer to cover his loss. He was not happy! I asked for a cost comparison (through his store) and he quoted $364.(complete Q system) + $55. for the locks vs. $590. + $55. for locks.(Complete Streamline / Baseline system) Pretty steep delta. I will wait until the new system is shown on amazon to see how the new system is priced there.

Edited by Chipster

I checked in with a local dealer and he told me Yakima is changing over to this new Streamline / Baseline System. He said that he was told to discount the "Q" system stuff @ a discount just to move it out. He said that Yakima did not offer to cover his loss. He was not happy! I asked for a cost comparison (through his store) and he quoted $364.(complete Q system) + $55. for the locks vs. $590. + $55. for locks.(Complete Streamline / Baseline system) Pretty steep delta. I will wait until the new system is shown on amazon to see how the new system is priced there.

That is wayyyy steep.

I just did a quick check on Amazon (that is where I got my parts). $311 total without locks. With Locks add another $50.

That is based on the parts that Yakima said was part of their package. So I just parted it out on Amazon and saved money.

• Like 2

I am starting to consider a small boat trailer as an alternative to the roof rack. I've priced a couple and they are about the same price as the roof racks and I would not have to dead lift my +- 70 # canoe. (56# without the stuff I've added) The more I think about this idea the better I like it. It will make for a good project to tailor it to accommodate the canoe, trolling motor, battery, tackle, etc. etc.

http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-boat-trailer-with-8-inch-wheels-and-tires-5002.html#

Edited by Chipster

• 4 weeks later...

Well I decided not to go the roof rack route for carrying my canoe and instead went out and bought a small trailer. I had ordered a tow package for my vehicle so it was a pretty easy fall back measure to take. I am at the point that lifting a 70# canoe onto the top of a vehicle after a long day of fishing is growing more difficult, and the thought of dropping the canoe on my new Edge scares the hell out of me. Pulling this same canoe onto the trailer is much easier.

While I am talking about the tow package on my Edge I’ll mention something I noticed towing the trailer home yesterday. I found that the Ford installed receiver is a bit larger than either of the two ball hitches I already owned from other vehicles. When either were installed into the receiver tube there was a fair amount of play in that connection. The end result is a very noisy ride when the trailer went over rough road conditions. I have no way to know if this is a “one off” condition on my vehicle or is common to all of them? I have never had this condition on trucks that I’ve owned. Anyway, I inserted two popsicle sticks side by side on the receiver tube floor and that thickness removed all the slack out of the hitch out of the connection between the receiver tube and the ball hitch. Another observation is that it is very difficult to back a small narrow trailer due to the limited vision out of the rear window/ side mirrors. Maybe after I get a better feel for the backup camera I will not have the same difficulty, but for the time being popping the rear hatch does the trick.

post-35611-0-78559500-1460663372_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chipster
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chipster I like that setup. I was out yesterday on the canoes and I agree lifting these things up on the roof aren't always that easy. And even harder given I'm only 5'7" tall. I still manage to get it up there and usually lay a blanket / tarp on the roof from the rearest roof rack to the back. Just in case I need to rest it for a second to readjust.

I've also looked in to a 'cheater bar' that inserts in to the tube of the roof rack...but so far haven't needed it.

On another note I did notice the Q-Clip for the roof rack was causing a little marring on the paint. Most of it was black transfer from the vinyl pad that could easily be rubbed off...but in one spot I noticed it may have gone a little deeper than that. Without rubbing too hard with compound I got it to the size of 3-4 pin head size spots by one of the doors. Not a big deal.

So to stop this from happening again I decided to add some 2" x 4" sections of protection film where the Q-clips mount to the door jamb. I was able to get a 6" x 24" roll of 3M clearbra material off amazon. Then cut to size. Pic is below of the finished product. The white tape is how I mark where the Q-clip has to line up so it is installed correctly every time I put the roof rack on.

q5s7kJr.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks! I called my local dealer and found out that there is another cross bar kit that will fit the Edge and it is much less than the other kit. If you have the roof rails on your Edge then all you need is Cross bar kit p/n 7T4Z7855100-BA listed @ $135. from Ford, but is available from an Amazon Ford dealer for a bit less. This is the way to go if all you need cross bars. I still need to get the weight capacity of these, but expect they will work fine for my 70 lb. canoe.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BOA9BXC/ref=dra_a_rv_ff_fx_it_P2000_1000?tag=dradisplay-20&ascsubtag=f0e8c00c7c2785d7d8fdddd43e3a581c_S&dra_hfr=x&dra_ohs=24-24

Hmmm. Seems a few people didn't like these Ford rails because the spread was only 21" (most boxes and other stuff require 23"+). Are different bars available that can increase the spread?