22" wheels alternatives?

arabski

Has anyone tried replacing OEM 22s with anything lighter (but to make sure Edgy does not loose its sporty look) ?

I am considering 21" or 20", since I need to replace tires anyways and there is nothing serious other than OEM (michelin scorpion?) available in this riddiculous rim size... And everything is ALL SEASON, meaning that it will not last more than one season (in the Middle East) without becoming noisy and having lots of small cracks...

Second thing is that I read somewhere on this forum that these 22s are over 70lbs (?!) each - another thing to take into consideration when looking for some performance gain ;)

Any ideas?

My short research gave me the following:

265/40 R22 means I am looking for a wheel with 770.8mm in diameter...

Alternatives:

295/45 R20 - 773.5mm (is the OEM size for JEEP Grand Cheerokie SRT - but the choice here is even worse than for my Edgy looking at tirerack.com)

275/45 R20 - 775mm (-2%) is the OEM size for Cayenne and this (again - based on tirerack) is an entire new level of choice (40 types available including Summer tires - not ALL SEASON like my OEM set)

Anybody tried digging more?

have you seen Edge Sport running on 20" ?

(OEM 20" for new sport look yummy)

• 4 weeks later...

I have been looking for alternatives as well. The limited selection of tires hurts, for $300 more than a set of OEM tires I can get a complete set of 20" rims, tires, and pressure sensors.

I have a few months before I replace them but I think I'm going with 275/45R20 tires on 20" American Racing Mainlines. They have a similar look to the OEMs.

http://www.americanracing.com/wheels/AR893/AR8933

• 2 months later...

so I didnt go with different wheels. Since pirellis have poor price/performance ration, I decided to go with General G-MAX AS-03 tires:

edgar1.jpg

edgar2.jpg

super happy from the first minute... weird moaming noise is gone, these tires are SUPER quiet and give a new meaning to the word comfort... + it is a good deal if compared to pirellis.

265/40/22 P's are 34lbs. You have to read the specs on Tirerack. 70 lbs. are cement tires! :doh:;)

Today I had Contisportcontact 5P 285/40/22's installed on my new Edge Sport wheels, they are 37 lbs.

IMG_2458_zpsf2ggjtsf.jpg

Has anyone tried replacing OEM 22s with anything lighter (but to make sure Edgy does not loose its sporty look) ?

I am considering 21" or 20", since I need to replace tires anyways and there is nothing serious other than OEM (michelin scorpion?) available in this riddiculous rim size... And everything is ALL SEASON, meaning that it will not last more than one season (in the Middle East) without becoming noisy and having lots of small cracks...

Second thing is that I read somewhere on this forum that these 22s are over 70lbs (?!) each - another thing to take into consideration when looking for some performance gain ;)

Any ideas?

My short research gave me the following:

265/40 R22 means I am looking for a wheel with 770.8mm in diameter...

Alternatives:

295/45 R20 - 773.5mm (is the OEM size for JEEP Grand Cheerokie SRT - but the choice here is even worse than for my Edgy looking at tirerack.com)

275/45 R20 - 775mm (-2%) is the OEM size for Cayenne and this (again - based on tirerack) is an entire new level of choice (40 types available including Summer tires - not ALL SEASON like my OEM set)

Anybody tried digging more?

have you seen Edge Sport running on 20" ?
(OEM 20" for new sport look yummy)

32.41 lbs.

so I didnt go with different wheels. Since pirellis have poor price/performance ration, I decided to go with General G-MAX AS-03 tires:

edgar1.jpg

edgar2.jpg

super happy from the first minute... weird moaming noise is gone, these tires are SUPER quiet and give a new meaning to the word comfort... + it is a good deal if compared to pirellis.

265/40/22 P's are 34lbs.

I dont remember where I got that value... I read it somewhere here (talking about the rim + tire weight)

Regardles... my wife even noticed the difference (!)

- "what did you with that engine noise...?"

Edited by arabski

• 1 month later...

3k and still super quiet and smooth... I wonder how soon will they wear off give the conditions I treat them (Middle East), but I will not consider Michelins for future upgrades for sure (at 66kkm I ended up with super loud set of OEM Michelins with 6mm of thread that I had to trash)