Won't turn off!

SEL_Plus

Here's a good one: four times now our 2007 Edge has refused to turn off. Ignition switched turned off, key out of the switch, and the flippin' engine continues to run. The first time I was able to get it to shut off after messing with the Homelink buttons (figure that out.) The second time we had to take it to the dealer, who removed the battery to turn it off. Of course they could find nothing wrong.

Today I call home and find out the !@#$ thing wouldn't start this morning - dead as a doornail. Then my wife tells me about the two other times when it wouldn't turn off - once when she was a couple hundred miles from home.

Fortunately we have a good dealer: they brought her another Edge this morning as a temporary vehicle and took ours in to find out what's wrong with it. They promised to give it back only after they found the problem.

Has anyone else encountered this? My wife is almost to the point where she's afraid to drive it.

WOW, you starting posting this problem back in July on another thread and that stinks that it still persists.

Those pesky intermittent problems never happen when you bring it into the dealer.

It seems like a long time between happening.

Did the dealer open the key/ignition housing on the steering column to see if a contact or sensor is bad?

When the problem happened did all of the accessories in the car continue to work? i.e.: radio, power windows, blower, wipers.

I'd forgotten about posting this topic in July. At that time I believe the accessories were still working, but can't remember for sure. The dealer said something like "water could have gotten into a connection somewhere", but I didn't buy it. According to them they went through all the electrical systems and couldn't find anything. The problem appeared to have been resolved, although IMO it sounds like a bad ignition switch. Not that I haven't been working on cars for 30+ years or anything.... :shades:

This time around it's going to be a "fix it or replace it" scenario. I can't have my wife using an unreliable vehicle.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Here's a good one: four times now our 2007 Edge has refused to turn off. Ignition switched turned off, key out of the switch, and the flippin' engine continues to run. The first time I was able to get it to shut off after messing with the Homelink buttons (figure that out.) The second time we had to take it to the dealer, who removed the battery to turn it off. Of course they could find nothing wrong.

it.

Same thing happened to my '03 Expy. First noticed that the seat and A/C moved and turned on without any key in ignition. Possessed!

Then my engine could not be turned off with key out. Needless to say, after much investigation, turns out that the wiring harness inside the vehicle terminated to power instead of ground. The dealer pulled everything out of the vehicle...seats, carpet, roof liner, you name it. They did their best trying to put it back together. Fortunately it failed in front of them, but we found that the harness near the left passenger rear area was the culprit. All under warranty, but I should've lemoned it due to the length of time to repair....over 1 month!

Rusty