Abnormal Steering on the 3.7 Sport

Got the car back, I signed off on it without test driving (after all the back and forth I just want the car back). Supposedly they replaced the engine mount, I know there are more than one so I'm not sure which one, most likely the ones on the tranny side. I don't have the paperwork, I don't even care what they did really...

Drove the car and both issues still exist. They basically wrote the steering issue off as torque steer (which I still don't believe) and the car still rumbles on reverse acceleration.

At this point I just I'm just glad that I don't have to go to this dealership anymore (who sold me a car with a broken strut) and next time I bring it in for maintenance at my regular dealership, I'll bring it up again.

If it ever gets repaired I'll let you all know.

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing the car in to new another dealership this week, same place I took my previous car all of the time. It is due for an oil change and will be bringing up the issue again.

I'm now leaning towards the the axle as the culprit, especially since this new grinding sound develops when accelerating in reverse/up a hill.

The mechanics at the other dealership did mention replacing the axle at first but then that idea seemed to fizzle out...

I asked if it could be CV joints but they doubted it but everything I research seems to point to the CV joints, only thing is I do not experience any of the symptoms mentioned with CV joints (no clicking etc)..Thinking, maybe I'll just say that the symptoms exist in hopes that they just believe me and replace the axles?

Any other issues with the axles that can cause this grinding on reverse or loose steering at high speeds?

• 2 weeks later...

Car has been in my regular dealer for one day and mechanic already notices the steering issue and they are not pushing back on torque steer. They mentioned that there *may* be an issue with the frame..the frame!? SA asked if I've ever seen those cars on the road that appear to going straight but look crooked, I said yes....

He said that he will call the selling dealership and try and get some more info from them..

But the frame!?

Edited by mcali6301

Car is still at dealer. I have a 2015 F150 as a rental so no complaints, I said keep it as long as you have to, I just want it fixed.

Dealer calls me yesterday and told me that the previous dealer may have installed the wrong steering rack and will have a better update for me today....Are there two different steering racks used for the Ford edge, or an update one perhaps? Didn't really make sense..

• 2 weeks later...

They also replaced the axle. Still same issue. They drove a few sport models from from around the same year and did not notice any issues.

The FSE is now stumped also and contacting the plant in Ontario Canada where the car was built. I really don't know what they are going to tell him but I think they are getting close to giving up on it...

Now I am thinking that it may be the steering column, thoughts???

Given the Techs feedback, they confirm something is not right I cannot give up on this. I'm hoping it doesn't get to the point where I'm gonna have to find a mechanic somewhere and pay out of pocket OR somehow complain enough to the selling dealership or Ford to compensate me somehow. I can't afford legal action and even if so, I can't just leave the car in the driveway and not touch it...

Funny because I was told by a few different people at the purchasing dealership that the car was owned by an older woman. Of course that does not mean that this woman was the only person driving it, nor that the woman wasn't a maniac on the road...75K miles on 5 year old car in SD is pretty low however and the car is in great condition. (I put about 50K miles on our previous edge in 2.5 years)...

But yea, again since the car had a broken right strut when I got, something happened to this car shortly before they traded it in. Someone ran over something hard..

I can't afford to just get rid of this car and get another one. After all, Ford is on the hook for all repairs and I have a free rental. Totally different story if I had to pay for all of this.

Edited by mcali6301

Who knows...Anyway..

The differential is being replaced. This is to address a different issue but I'm wondering if this may be the reason for the steering issue.

My thoughts are, perhaps above a certain speed, the right wheel/axle is getting slightly less torque due to some kind of breakage or wear...

They won't be done until the end of week.

Edited by mcali6301

• 2 weeks later...

Got the car back. They fixed the noise on reverse with a new engine mount on the right side.

The field service engineer was not able to fix the pulling issue and refereed me to customer relations. CRC is now working with the "good faith dept." to find out if the car qualifies for replacement or buyback.