PTU Fluid change question?

carguy75

Today I noticed that the fill hole on the PTU in the 2011 Ford Edge is mostly blocked by the exhaust pipe leaving the exhaust manifold.

It seems like the best way to removed the fill-bolt from the PTU is to unbolt the front and rear bank exhaust from the manifolds and move the exhaust pipe to the side to have enough room to easily drain the PTU.

I could try using socket extensions to remove the fill bolt, but I can not fit my hand pass the exhaust at all, so replacing the fill bolt and messing with the gear oil will be a pain in the ass if i do not move the exhaust it seems.

Has anyone else who changed their PTU fluid in the Edge had to do that or is there a better way than I mentioned to change the PTU fluid?

Removing the exhaust from the manifold is not hard, but I will buy some new exhaust gaskets if I do unbolt them to prevent having an exhaust leak later since I heard that exhaust gaskets should be replaced when removed.

Any tips on PTU fluid replacement would be much appreciated, especially if it prevents me from having to move the exhaust pipe.

Edited by carguy75

• 3 months later...

Here you go:

RD5DYrz.jpg

ZqrDWAc.jpg

5bnqt7I.jpg

Your ptu is the same as my 2011 model.

I can get a socket to fit in the gap like what you did in the picture, however I am curious about hard the entire fluid change process would be by only reaching through the area around the exhaust pipe.

It looks like it would make a major mess just trying to feed the pump line through the opening to reach the fill hole from underneath the car with the exhaust pipe in the way, but it does look like it is doable without removing the exhaust pipe.

I will just try unbolting and moving the exhaust pipe to have more room to be able to use my hands to do the job.

Thanks for the pictures!!!!

Did you go in from the top of the engine to reach the PTU in the picture?

Also do you have the V6 or the Ecoboost?

Edited by carguy75

Where the handle of the wrench is pointing is where you stick your hands, and feed the tube. There is plenty of room on that side. You basically reach up and over the subframe and the heat shield. I did it, it didn't get on anything as you can see, while lying on my back in the garage.

These pictures were taken while I was laying on my back, looking straight up at the PTU, in my garage. I have the 3.7L.

Edited by 13EdgeSport
  • Like 2

Where the handle of the wrench is pointing is where you stick your hands, and feed the tube. There is plenty of room on that side. You basically reach up and over the subframe and the heat shield. I did it, it didn't get on anything as you can see, while lying on my back in the garage.

These pictures were taken while I was laying on my back, looking straight up at the PTU, in my garage. I have the 3.7L.

Thank you for the tip.

I will have a look and see if it is the same for me on my 3.5.

Your set-up maybe different than mine depending on how your exhaust is set-up compared to mine since you have the 3.7 engine.

I really do not want to move the exhaust if it possible to do it the way you decribed on my Edge.