Considering Edge Sport AWD to replace 2012 Fusion

Hi, this is my first post here. I have a 2012 Ford Fusion SEL which has been a great car...however, I would like a vehicle with a stronger engine and the newer tech features that current vehicles have.

I am also at that point where I have been considering a crossover vs another sedan. I am now considering the Ford Edge Sport AWD as one of my top picks. However, there are so many good cars around $40k or less that I am a little lost. I just started test driving cars, so I have a long way to go...but just curious what Edge enthusiasts think about the Sport AWD vs other vehicles at this price point as far as quality and value.

Thanks!

Steve

Nice advice from Blitz, to look at the 2016. Kinks should be worked out. Maybe some different interior choices with the Sport.

I put a summary of our recent shopping for my sister-in-law and another friend, who are starting to shop for a new SUV. Much of that re-purposed here:

I had been shopping the Edge - specifically the Sport - and thought we might wait for the 2016 models, but we finally punted and got the 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD turbo 2.0 with tech. The Sorento is lighter, and so the 2.0 Turbo felt livelier - to me - than the Edge's 2.0T. The 2.7 EB T Edge is fast! The Sorento 2.0T, in Sport mode, is fun too. I did prefer the Edge's better model of Michelin tire. My wife preferred the Sorento on multiple points.

Note to OP, if you don’t have much in the way of hills, check out the QX60; the CVT transmission might not bother you. Not much in the way of strong engine, however.

We drove Edge, Sorento, Santa Fe (both), MDX, Infinity QX60 (personally didn't like the CVT transmission, otherwise very nice!), Highlander, 2016 Pilot (a bit too big, and a bit too mini-van like), CRV, VW Touareg and the Murano (CVT and a bit to stylish). We had a flexible budget.

If you don't need all of the space, try the Mazda 2016 CX5, QX50, and maybe the new 2016 Hyundai Tuscon with the ultimate trim. Skip the CRV.

Living at about 6,000', turbos are nice; non-turbos loose about 3.5% of power per 1000’. The Hyundai Sport 2.0T was good, but the Sorento was better overall.

The MDX, Edge, and Sorento were finalist. We didn't like the dark interior and headliners of the Edge Sport, nor in the Sorento SXL model. (If this isn't a concern, the SXL with the tech is a great package to cross-shop.) The Acura MDX has had it’s share of problems since 2014, and these seem ongoing into the 2016. The MDX with the options we wanted, well, the value wasn’t there. With Kia’s incentives, and their dealer’s pricing flexibility, they offer real value. (Acura, Honda and others talked about $ off of MSRP. With Kia we talked about $ back of invoice; $1500. back of invoice before rebates.)

Kia was 2nd only to Porsche on the 2015 JD Power Initial Quality survey (and a close second). They should do well in 2016 too. Forum posters love their 2016 Sorento, and even the previous 2014/5; less so the 2011-13 (some exploding panoramic roofs).

We leased ("short term rent") the Sorento, $360./mo with sales taxes, registration, license, zero cap cost reduction other than their rebates; all in with origination fee $595., doc fee $232., and disposition fee $400., ownership cost still at $400./mo for 24 months, 12K miles a year. Free oil changes. And probably no need to even buy tires. 67% residual on the MSRP, and we got it for $1500. under invoice. The money factor worked out to 1.57%.

Others to look at, if you wait until spring: VW is supposed to introduce some new SUV AWD that are much lighter than their off-road capable Touareg. Those could be interesting! Also, I hope Mazda introduces a competitive CX9; it really needs an update. We almost got one when we got our XC90.

Our thinking was that we might buy a used 2016 Volvo XC90 in two years, if their reliability is there, and if a local dealer pulls their act together. We like our XC90 V8, but we don't like the dealership. After a month with the Sorento, we probably won’t.

By that time, Hyundai or Kia may have a luxury SUV offering along the lines of their 2015 car-of-the-year Genesis. Or, we’ll go a bit smaller and and look at the CX5 and maybe an updated Acura RDX.

There are a lot of nice vehicles out there, and certainly the 2016 Edge is very nice. Good luck.

Edited by ono

Thank you....I was just reading about the new Sync 3 and that might be worth the wait. I initially started off looking at the smaller crossovers, such as the Escape, CX5 and Acura RDX, and also at sedans....now I am looking at the slightly larger crossovers such as the Edge. I will check out the Kia as well. Thanks for the advice!