battery indicator light on

detroitphoenix

I have a 2007 Edge SE AWD. Lately while driving my radio will shut off for about two seconds, turn back on, and then my battery light will come on. I have had the alternator checked and it seems good. The output was 16V. I had the battery checked as well. According to the gentleman the output should be in the 600's but it is reading at 580 so he advised it's on it's way out and should be replaced. It is a reconditioned battery if that matters. I don't have any other issues. My lights are not dimming, the car is not shutting off, or anything else just the radio shut off and then the battery light. Do I simply need to replace the battery or is this the sign of a need for a new alternator? Also, I took it to a second place to get the battery and alternator checked and was told that the battery and alternator were ok but they did not get a read on the voltage regulator. Opinions or similar experiences anyone?

• Like 1

16V sounds too high - I would expect more like 14.7 or less. The output is variable.

I assume the 580 is CAs or CCAs - if the spec is in the 600s then 580 isn't terrible, but if the battery was reconditioned then I would just go ahead and replace it just to be safe, then see what happens. Should only cost $100-$125 at the most and you won't have to worry about it for 3-4 years. It could still be the alternator or even a bad cable or ground connection.

• Like 1