Front Wheel Bearing Noise, 07 Edge FWD

dddedge

I have a 2007 Edge/ front wheel drive. It sounds like a wheel bearing making a humming noise, it appears to be coming from the front, it starts at about 40-45 mph, gets louder at about 60 mph, then quiets down a bit above 70, while driving if i turn the steering wheel to the right it gets louder and then not as loud when I turn the wheel to the left, so this makes me think it's the front left wheel bearing, these are pressed in and I don't know if I want to tackle this job or take it to a garage and let them do it, since I don't have a press. I did jack up the front and could not find any play in the wheels on either side. I guess I should go ahead and check the rear bearings for play.

I thought about buying a used steering knuckle with the spindle/hub and bearing all together, then buying a new wheel bearing and taking this to a machine shop and have them remove the old and install the new bearing, then I could still drive the edge until ready to swap out the this complete assembly myself. Not sure yet what I'm going to do.

I always confuse my self on bearings, but the wheel under load when turning is the wheel with the bad bearing. When you take the load off the wheel will get quieter. Your choice to buy the extra parts seems like the expensive route. I think I paid around 200-300 for a garage to do this job. Unless you have the tools to remove the bearing you will find it a rather difficult job with just hand tools. Eric O at south main auto repair on youtube perform the wheel bearing job. here is the video. Keep in mind he was talking about another issue but the vehicle he was demonstrating on was a 2007-2008 or so Ford Edge.

I have a 2007 Edge/ front wheel drive. It sounds like a wheel bearing making a humming noise, it appears to be coming from the front, it starts at about 40-45 mph, gets louder at about 60 mph, then quiets down a bit above 70, while driving if i turn the steering wheel to the right it gets louder and then not as loud when I turn the wheel to the left, so this makes me think it's the front left wheel bearing, these are pressed in and I don't know if I want to tackle this job or take it to a garage and let them do it, since I don't have a press. I did jack up the front and could not find any play in the wheels on either side. I guess I should go ahead and check the rear bearings for play.

I thought about buying a used steering knuckle with the spindle/hub and bearing all together, then buying a new wheel bearing and taking this to a machine shop and have them remove the old and install the new bearing, then I could still drive the edge until ready to swap out the this complete assembly myself. Not sure yet what I'm going to do.

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 3

I checked my rear wheel bearings and had no play, I do have some tire noise but eliminated that noise temporarily by using my spare tire. once that tire noise was gone I could actually hear the bearing noise easier but it didn't seem as loud even though it still changed when turning steering wheel while driving..louder when turning right = more load on left wheel bearing...

getting new tires first, these have 50,000 miles on them but have very even wear and still have some miles left on them..but I want to eliminate the noise...if wheel noise is still there replacing the bearing will be next.

• Like 1

Your first impression is best. Just keep in mind I have never had play in the wheel bearing when it was growling. The information I have received is when it is growling you are pretty sure there will be no play. The bad part is when it stops growling!! then you will have play and the possibility of a rather worse event occurring. I would recommend replacing the wheel bearing in question first then installing new tires. Other wise you could end up with wear problems on brand new tires. If you have the funds it would be a good practice to replace both front bearings. Your rears will eventually fail and most likely the right rear will be next. Don't ask me why. For some reason the right rear tends to fail. Might be because of the curbs that everyone (including me) run over when cutting corners.

• Like 2

Thanks for the good advice macbwt, The tires were noisy and annoying and also I noticed some weathercracking starting in between the treads, got 50,000 miles out of them so I went ahead and had new tires put on today. Now I can hear the wheel bearing growling without having to listen to noisy tires at the same time. I made an appointment with the garage where I got the tires and the mechanic advised me to do both front wheel bearings at the same time so I gave him the go ahead.

He is only charging $45 labor per wheel =$90 labor, about $140 for both Timken bearings. $60 for alignment = $ 290 Total, The Dealership wanted $295 to do just one side..

It seems to be growling louder that before but maybe that's because I can hear just the bearing noise now. and I really tell by turning the wheel to the right that it gets louder.

How many miles do you think I can go before the rear ones start growling? I'm at 107,000 now.

Great news and you need to keep that mechanic happy. That is a great price!! As far as how long a bearing will last? Not sure as to how to answer that question because I have had bearings go about 20K miles and fail and some that went toward 200K miles before failure. I would not worry about it too much until you start to hear the now familiar growling sound. When my bearings start to growl I would just turn up the radio volume. LOL I have been known to push the bearings about 4-6 K miles after I hear the growling. I just had to many things going on and did not have the time to stop and get it fixed.