Looking at buying a used 2013 Edge SEL FWD with Appearance Package

First off, the Carfax/Autocheck and OASIS reports should be clean. Are there maintenance records available? Why did the previous owner turn it in? No shudders/rattles/whine/squealing, and drives straight. Normal car shopping stuff.

Being a FWD, no PTU to deal with (YAY!). But you would still want to have remaining B2B coverage, and/or Ford ESP warranty, mainly due to the electronics on this vintage vehicle.

1. Check carefully for any rust on the body, particularly the hood. Ford does not fix "non-perforated" panels, that's on you. So make sure no body work has been done, and that the paint is perfect.
  2. Brakes should be perfect, no rust, no scoring on the rotors, etc. These can happen particularly when a vehicle is parked a lot, and brake material embeds onto the rotors over time.
  3. APIM could be an issue over time, but there IS an extended warranty out on that.
  4. Throttle Body could act up and cause sudden power loss. Relatively infrequent, but be prepared for it. May or may not set a code. Easily DIY replaceable if it comes down to it, keep receipts.
  5. Brake Booster could die on you, but there IS an extended warranty on this also.
  6. If the engine is the 2.0EB, keep an eye out for popped hoses underhood, oil pooling in the intake/intercooler, and for fuel pump/control module issues/failure.

If you decide to buy, change the engine oil/filter immediately. No telling the condition of the fluids in the engine/transmission/power steering, so check periodically.

Looking at one of these tomorrow. Is there anything I should be aware of in terms of problems, etc? It's got low km on it (20k) and seems to be in great shape with no accidents. Just wondering about any know problems to keep an eye out for.

I have one just like it, Deep Impact blue and love mine. Up to 66,000 miles just changed the OEM tires with the exact same tire I liked them so much. Only issue I have had was the driver door ajar issue many have had with this Edge that required the door latch to be replaced around 55,000 miles. Cost me $300 at my Ford Dealer. Otherwise never a hint of an issue so far.

Thanks guys. I had a look at the carfax and it is clean.

Where can I get an OASIS report? Is that from the Ford Dealer (the car is at a Ford Dealer). I am in Canada if that makes a difference.

I haven't been into the dealer yet, just chatting online with them and went by today as they were closed to have a look. Looks clean from the outside, a little curb rash on a couple of rims (drives me nuts when I see that), but there was some snow on it so I couldn't get a really good look but what I did see looked good, no dings, scratches, etc.and the tires looked in good shape (stock Pirelli Scropions) and they have less than 20k kms on them.

I am planning on going by tomorrow to take it for a drive. The car was bought there so I can ask about the reason they got it back.

I do plan on having my mechanic look at it as well - a friend mentioned that the Edge can be hard on brakes - is that true?

It has 5 months of bumper to bumper and 29 months of powertrain warranty left on it.

I have one just like it, Deep Impact blue and love mine. Up to 66,000 miles just changed the OEM tires with the exact same tire I liked them so much. Only issue I have had was the driver door ajar issue many have had with this Edge that required the door latch to be replaced around 55,000 miles. Cost me $300 at my Ford Dealer. Otherwise never a hint of an issue so far.

Thanks. Did you have the stock pirelli's? if so that is really good in terms of mileage. They said they have snow tires for it (we need them up here in Canada) and that will help extend the mileage as I run thouse from Dec-April.

• Like 1

Thanks. Did you have the stock pirelli's? if so that is really good in terms of mileage. They said they have snow tires for it (we need them up here in Canada) and that will help extend the mileage as I run thouse from Dec-April.

Yes the stock STR Pirelli's is what it had and what I put on them. I should have mentioned seeing your follow up question about brakes that I replaced the rotors and pads at about 50,000 due to warpage/shaking. I replaced with ceramic aftermarket pads and rotors since I figured OEM would do the same thing again. So far they have done great since replacing..

That's barely 12K miles in 2.5 years. Could have been all city, bumpertobumper traffic, short distance driving. Or could have been a weekender with long gaps in between. Hopefully they will cooperate with the OASIS request, and it will come out clean :)

My guess is it was an older person/couple who drove to the grocery store once a week :-). My wife's corolla was like that when I bought it, 31k km in 5 years.