BEST BIKE RACK THE HITCH-LESS EDGES?

if you search here, there are several threads on this topic. But....

IF you have a Vista roof BAMR, only confirmed way is to get a after-market hitch (Curt brand - details also found here under Towing section) and install yourself and buy a hitch mount bike rack. that is what many do and I am doing.

IF you have no vista roof BAMR, then you can do factory rails, get towers and cross bars from Yakima or Thule and away you go.

with no trailer hitch, which bike rack do you recommend?

You could try www.saris.com and look at the Bones 3 bike rack.

Here is a pic of the adjustable arm model on a CUV/SUV (you may have to select the right pic):

http://www.saris.com/productImages.aspx?PID=299&count=11

I have one of these and it does the trick. I have three pieces of advice from my experience:

1. Make sure the bike is not coming in contact with your car. (particulary the pedals)

2. Heavier bikes will cause your bumper to deflect a little while mounted on your vehicle.

3. Consider investing in a bumper protector decal/pad. While the rubber grips on the bike rack will not scratch your paint, dirt particles between the rubber grips and your car could cause scrathes.

You could try www.saris.com and look at the Bones 3 bike rack.

Here is a pic of the adjustable arm model on a CUV/SUV (you may have to select the right pic):

http://www.saris.com/productImages.aspx?PID=299&count=11

I have one of these and it does the trick. I have three pieces of advice from my experience:

1. Make sure the bike is not coming in contact with your car. (particulary the pedals)

2. Heavier bikes will cause your bumper to deflect a little while mounted on your vehicle.

3. Consider investing in a bumper protector decal/pad. While the rubber grips on the bike rack will not scratch your paint, dirt particles between the rubber grips and your car could cause scrathes.

though a viable option, I am not a big fan of these models - had them in the past:

1. they require those straps that have those plastic coated hooks that get pushed into the quarter panel space which over time really seems to tweak paint and what not as they move about, get taken on and off and on and off

2. easy to steal

3. plus with the Edge, it seems that top strap most come over the rear sun shade and then down to the rack which seems like a LOT of downward pressure on that sun shade - which is not really a solid weight bearing object.

4. those straps can vibrate in the wind making whack noises

though a viable option, I am not a big fan of these models - had them in the past:

1. they require those straps that have those plastic coated hooks that get pushed into the quarter panel space which over time really seems to tweak paint and what not as they move about, get taken on and off and on and off

2. easy to steal

3. plus with the Edge, it seems that top strap most come over the rear sun shade and then down to the rack which seems like a LOT of downward pressure on that sun shade - which is not really a solid weight bearing object.

4. those straps can vibrate in the wind making whack noises

what about for an edge that has a factory roof rack? also, can this saris rack allow the hatch to open normally (when there are no bikes on it of course)? thanks!

In my personal opinion.... yes. Based simply on the fact of longevity in the business, quality of product, attachment and sport options, innovativeness in their designs and offerings, and very important fact of the ubiquitousness of finding spare parts all over the USA in bike shops for Yakima and Thule. I have had both those 2, seen them all, and would buy only Yakima for me if I could do roof rack on BAMR.

• 5 years later...

Hi,

New on the forum, but I recently bought a Thule Thruway 2-bike rack, as I didnt wanna add the weight or look of a hitch or roof rails and live in an area with awesome scenery and single tracks, so I'll rarely use this contraption. Seems to be pretty sturdy and my only concern is that top spoiler. But, it doesnt even seem to budge as I load up my 30 lb GT 29er hardtail, or my wife's slightly smaller GT Laguna. Havent taken it far but around the neighborhood over speed bumps and sharp turnns. Got up to 50 mph (where allowed) to check how it handles. Didn't move hardly at all and no vibration heard or felt at any time. Bikes were still there when I got home. Anyone have any bad experiences with this? I plan a long trip to the mountains soon. Hope it holds.