SEL tail light swap

Just bought a new 15 SEL, AWD, white platinum, pretty much loaded. I like the handling, quiet ride and looks.

Just got rid of my 11 BMW 335d. It had 425 ft lbs of healthy

torque, just to many emissions control issues.

This is my first time on any forum, so forgive me for any errors. I noticed there is a lot of good helpful info out here.

I purchased a set of Titanuim tail lights off of a crushed Edge for a cheap cost. I got them because I did not realize that that the SEL did not come with the lighted LED light bar, nor does it have the yellow color turn signals. These are only on the Ti and Sport models. The wiring harness is the same for both the SEL and Ti . Both have 5 wires and identical connector. I hooked them up and I now have the surround light bar and yellow turn signals. I do not have the light bar across the rear hatch, as I did not upgrade that part.

The lighting sequence is different on SEL vs the Ti / Sport.

When applying the brakes and turn signal on the SEL , both the upper row and lower row of lights function as one unit. The Ti is different. The upper row is dedicated to being the running lights and brake lights, while the lower row is dedicated to being the turn signal . So now I have both red and yellow turn signals and red and yellow brake lights. This combo is actuall legal in the state of Washington, but it

looks weird .

Has any of you attempted this swap at all? There must be a different relay , control module or something in the computer that controls the tail lights. I'm going to trouble shoot this for a while.

• 3 weeks later...